Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Sand or Gravel?
Sand 25 75.76%
Gravel 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

sand or gravel?

I still cannot decide what kind of substrate to use for my new 20g..

I know sand is wayyyyyyy better by appearance but I need to know which one takes less time to maintain.

I have been told that I can't use siphon with sand and sometimes the filter will suck up the sand which requires me to clean my filter as well. also I have to stir the sand or whatever so it won't become toxic.

as far as i know gravel on the other hand only needs siphon.

Which one would you prefer (without going by the appearance but maintenance wise) to have in your tank with red cherry shrimps and some nano fish (neon tetras, CPD's, or chili rasboras)?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sand. I find it much easier to maintain then gravel as the funk just sits on top and all you have to do is hoover it off with your vac. Never had a problem with it getting into my filter, I have three tanks with sand. I think it is mostly blown out of proportion but, if you are worried about gas pockets then get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails to work for you.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blert View Post
Sand. I find it much easier to maintain then gravel as the funk just sits on top and all you have to do is hoover it off with your vac. Never had a problem with it getting into my filter, I have three tanks with sand. I think it is mostly blown out of proportion but, if you are worried about gas pockets then get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails to work for you.
see thats what i have heard that i should get those. how man should i get for MTS? and do they reproduce fast?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
I got 10 mts and now I have well over 200. I also prefer sand much more than gravel. I switched to sand on all my tanks
Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstar View Post
I got 10 mts and now I have well over 200. I also prefer sand much more than gravel. I switched to sand on all my tanks
i guess mts reproduce fast?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulcm10

i guess mts reproduce fast?
Only if theres an abundance of food. They are self regulating, they will only reproduce if there is enough food (over feeding)
Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b View Post
Only if theres an abundance of food. They are self regulating, they will only reproduce if there is enough food (over feeding)
will they compete with my shrimps for food?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulcm10

will they compete with my shrimps for food?
Shrimps main food is bio-film. I don't think MTS eat bio-film. They will consume some algea. If you feed your shrimp colony with some algea wafers and other foods, you will be fine
Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b View Post
Shrimps main food is bio-film. I don't think MTS eat bio-film. They will consume some algea. If you feed your shrimp colony with some algea wafers and other foods, you will be fine
oh ok thats good. i'll see if i can find some mts at petco
Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Sand

Sand is good.

I have had my main tank for 2 years with Super Naturals, it looks like reef sand, fine and dense, natural white, I don't remember the actual name. Everyone is impressed with the look of it. And it is easy to clean.

That said...the sand has chewed up several impellers (HOB). But my Aqueon filter has been the best for that type of sand, lasted MUCH, longer, the other filters Walmart Aquaclear??, died in a month, and the whisper filter died 3 months.

It was suggested to put filter media around the intake to keep sand out of the filter, I tried that last week but it is ugly looking and is just collecting the debris on it which is unsightly too.

Just unplug the filter during cleaning and refilling, that helps keep out the sand from the filter. The other issue is air bubbler, I have a bar style which kicks up sand all around it, I wouldn't recommend that. lol

I am planning to add some medium stones around it, its in the back of my aquarium with a large rock in front of it, it kicks up a ton of sand.

It is dense and occasionally gets dark shadow look, maybe the gas pocket, I try to make a point to move it around a little so that doesn't happen.

On the other hand, I got a new kind a few months ago, from Petco and it is lighter with a slightly larger grain and doesn't seem to compact so much, it's in a different tank and it doesn't seem like it floats up as much but it is lighter and sometime actually floats on the water in little amounts, mostly when we are doing a water change.

I think they keep the gunk out of the bottom so it gets sucked up to the filter better.

Hope that helps.

Tags
gravel, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com