Sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpatrick007

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do I have to do anything to pool filter sand before I put in my tank or no?

Yes, you need to wash the hell out of it. The more you wash it outside the tank, the less cloudy the water will be inside the tank....

Yep. Pour your sand into a 5 gallon bucket, tilt it a bit and fill it with water with your garden hose. Use an unused paint stick (free at Home Depot or Lowes) or anything long to stir frequently for 10-15 minutes and you should be good to go. If you want to wash it faster, only fill the bucket with sand 1/4 of the way.

Should I have water in the tank before I put it in the sand or put the sand and then water

I'd say sand then water. Less particles will become suspended in the water. Resulting in less cloudy water.

I'd say sand then water. Less particles will become suspended in the water. Resulting in less cloudy water.
You could do it either way but I prefer to have some water in the tank first. You'll have less airpockets then. The particles, you want as much of them washed out, as possible before you add the sand to the tank. After you add the sand, gentle rack the whole bottom of the tank a few times. This will get rid of any airpockets/bubbles in the sand. Fill it up and do a few large water changes, if you feel you need to or want to. When adding the water use a breakfast bowl to break up the flow of the water. It will have less clouding.....
You really want to wash the sand as much as possible before you add it. When you think it's clean, wash it again!!. It will keep clouding to a minimum....

If you have a Northern Tool near you, Black Diamond blasting sand is available. 100% safe for aquarium, looks amazing, and 0 washing will result in a non cloudy tank. $8.99 for 50lbs. Cant beat this stuff!

If you have a Northern Tool near you, Black Diamond blasting sand is available. 100% safe for aquarium, looks amazing, and 0 washing will result in a non cloudy tank. $8.99 for 50lbs. Cant beat this stuff!

You didn't wash it?

Make sure to poke around in the sand when it's done to release air pockets!

Back
Top Bottom