Sandmans Sandblasting sand for FW aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got some black sand from a friend who has the same sand in his 125 FW peacock cichlid tank. He gave me about 50 lbs and I need a little more for my 75 gal FW, but wanted to see if anyone sees a problem with this stuff. I am going to ask the Sandman owner what his material is made of, but???
Aloha!

Ask BigJim here on AA. I believe he used something similar in a 40G breeder planted he has going

Sandblasting

Just off the phone with secretary at The Sandman here and she believes it a copper slag, but is emailing me the MSDS so I can be sure.
Copper slag doesn't sound right or healthy, but several aquarium guys here use the same stuff.
Is there a test kit I can buy to test the water after I cycle before I put my fish in?
Thanks!!!:invasion:

1. CHEMICAL PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION​
PRODUCT NAME: Kleen Blast
CHEMICAL NAME: Copper Slag
COMPANY IDENTIFICATION EMERGENCY / TECHNICAL NUMBERS
Kleen Blast Division (206) 383-2168
2400 Old Crow Canyon Rd. No. A2 (510) 831-9800
San Ramon, CA 94583 CHEMTREC:
(800) 424-9300
PRODUCT INFORMATION: MSDS Requests and Product Information: (510) 831-9800
SPECIAL NOTES:​
2. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION INGREDIENTS​
COMPONENTS CAS No. OSHA Exposure ACGIH Recommended Percent
Limits (PEL) Limits (TLV) by Weight
Iron Oxide (Fe​
2O3) 1309-37-1 5 mg/m3 5 mg/m3 23.0
Silicon (SiO
2) 7440-21-3 10 mg/m3 10 mg/m3 45.0
Free Silica 7631-86-9 0.1 mg/m
3 0.1 mg/m3 <0.1
Alumina (Al
2O3) 7429-90-5 10 mg/m3 10 mg/m3 7.0
Calcium (CaO) 1305-78-8 2 mg/m
3 2 mg/m3 19.0
COMPOSITION COMMENTS:

Other trace metals and oxides comprise 5.9%.

Don't know if this makes any sense, but at the bottom of the 3 pages, it mentions that (
Not toxic to mammals or aquatic environments. Not persistent in the environment.)
Hope this helps...
I tried to send the MSDS, but the file was too big...

I've got a coal slag blasting compound called "Black Blast" in my 40B. I got it from Menards and it's fairly close to the house substrate that aquariumplants.com sells. I compared the MSDS sheets and pictures. Without a lot of further research, I'd be wary of a copper slag.

cadillac pics

Bigjim, look for the aquarium album on the right and click.

Cichlids dig

Since the convict cichlids and others dig and move substrate, will this black media be harmful to their mouths? I am getting what they call 30/60, and it's small grain sized, but is designed with some edges to it.
Thanks!

Any sharp edges should be avoided. Bottom dwellers can damage their barbels on them as well as their fins. If at all possible avoid sand or gravel with sharp edges.

Caribsea (20 lb bags) How many for the 75 gal

Well, as usual, after I've bought what I think is the right stuff, I find what I really need.
A pet store off the beaten path has 4 bags of Caribsea black sand. Not sure how many 20 lb bags I will need for the 75, but figure 3 should be good.
Anyone think I need more?
Let me know. Picking it up in about 2.5 hrs.
Aloha,
Scott

Caribsea sand

Got the last 4 20 lb bags they had of the black caribsea sand. Looks nice with some sparkle in it. Should be a nice touch with the T5 fixture and better for the fish than the sandblasting media

Back
Top Bottom