Santa brought my son a Eclipse 12 system, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tigerpaul1977

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings! Santa thought we needed to take the plunge with an aquarium this year and brought my son an Eclipse 12 system. He also brought a heater, a net, Stress coat, stress zyme, algae scrubber, and a thermometer. We went to the pet store today and bought some gravel. I am planning on starting putting things together tomorrow and start cycling the water. My question is, I have no idea what to do about fish and how many it can handle. I know to cycle it I need to start with one or two fish (tetra's?) and then add more as time goes on. I want it to be a community tank and I would be interested in some Cory Cats to help with waste. Can anyone give me numbers to work with? I am really looking forward to doing this with my son but at times I feel overwhelmed by it all. Any help would be appreciated. I would like to have some variety with my fish but do understand the limits of what I am working with. Would it be possible to have tetra's, cory cat's and a "showcase" fish together? What would be an appropriate number of each? And what would a good showcase fish to work with in this small environment. Thank you so much for taking the time to read.

Welcome to AA, and to the aquarium hobby!

There's TONS of great information around here. First, I'd recommend reading the articles in my signature (below) about the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling.

I used to have an Eclipse 12, they're not bad tanks at all. Since it's your sons tank, we should probably look at what kind of fish he likes, then we can recommend numbers for you.

Yep... fishless cycling for sure. Takes longer-- but is worth it in the end. If your son is young it will also teach him all-important patience...

Welcome to AA!

You will have oodles of fun... ;)

Thanks, my son is 4, so he really likes any kind of fish. I am thinking that Santa brought it for him but is going to become my responsibility, lol.

Back
Top Bottom