Scared of the pump??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gemba85

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I'm new to this forum so I apologise for any stupid questions...Lets begin with one.

I have a small 20ltr tank. It's a LoveFish Concept tank and I have had it running for a week and treated the water over that time. 2 days ago I went out and bought 2 Danios and 3 Cherry Barbs. They are constantly swimming at the bottom, they never come any higher than about 3/4cm unless I turn the air pump off. Once I do this they freely swim around and seem very happy but once it goes back on they go straight to the bottom again.
Don't get me wrong I always keep my pump on but I just thought I would see if it made a difference if I turned it off.
I have tried turning the pump around to make sure the current isn't to strong and it hasn't made a difference.

Can anyone help or suggest what I can do please?? I want fish that swim around my tank not along the floor!!!

Thank you

They are most likely scared by the pump, but that is not the real issue. Barbs and danios should have at least 75 liters/20 gallons (most of them), so they are behaving weirdly because the tank is wwwwaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too small. Also do you know about cycling?

I would agree with the above statements. You would be much better off with fish that are appropriate for the tank size. A Betta and some Cherry Shrimp, small group of males Endlers, or Least Killies. You could also go with natives from a local stream. There are a number of other fish you could stock that would work better. If you decide to return your fish make a list of what you would like, post it and folks will provide you with advice. Better yet, it sounds like a good excuse to get another tank.

Back
Top Bottom