Scarlet badis species tank (or other ideas)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone. When I head off to college, I would love to have a fish tank in my room. The maximum tank size I can have is a 10gal, so that's what I'm going with. I was originally going to do something with a betta, but would prefer something else. I then thought cories but read that 10 gal might be a little small (maybe not true?). and then I came across multiple sources saying that scarlet badis could be kept in a 10 gal and have done research on them. My lfs can order them for me. If I can choose my male:female ratio, then I'm going to get them. Anyone have experience with scarlet badis, especially regarding their diet? Thanks in advance!:)

Definitely get more females than males. They are very shy fish and appreciate plants and caves. I kept mine with RCS so they ate shrimplets plus I'd also feed live foods.

Okay thanks Theresa. I saw your name a lot around the forum when scarlet badis were involved. Where did you purchase yours from? And I was thinking about using RCS as a food source, so that would be good. Also pretty sure I'll plant it a decent amount. How many would you suggest in a 10 gal tank? How about a 5.5 gal? Because according to AqAdvisor, I could fit 10 in a 10 gal with only stocking the tank to 59%...that seems like a ton of scarlet badis for a 10 gal tank...

I ordered mine online from Wet Spot.

Not sure what your situation is with college and stocking the tank but it would be ideal to have it running with the shrimp a bit before adding the fish. That would give the shrimp time to settle in and hopefully even start breeding.

Does your lfs sell live foods?

I actually started my colony in a 2.5g; 2 males and 3 females. I had a couple pieces of cholla wood in the tank that helped the males establish territories.

They are tiny fish, even in a 5g which is where I currently have mine along with shrimp, an oto, and school of micro rasboras.

Okay yeah I'll have it cycling soon and then I'll introduce the badis once I have the shrimp colony up and running. I am attending college about 2.5 hours away from my home (and lfs), so I would have to wait for a break to get the badis anyways, which means I will have a RCS exclusive tank until Thanksgiving, or I may just buy the badis over winter break when I have the tank at home. And my lfs doesn't sell live food, but they can order it for me. I saw that you mentioned the chola wood comment in anther post as well. I don't think I fully realize how small they are. They remind me of cichlids, and I have 2 Bolivian rams at about 2.5-3 inches each, so Im having trouble picking so man in a 10gal tank. Would you suggest a 5 or 10 gal RCS/badis tank?

Since you wouldn't have easy access to a lfs/live foods I'd definitely recommend letting the shrimp colony grow for a while. Some folks have had luck getting badis to take things like frozen bloodworms but you'd hate to get the fish and not have anything they'd accept.

Their coloring and personality reminds me a lot of cichlids....lots of fish packed into a small package!

Most people would probably say bigger is better but they really are tiny fish and I'd personally do something else in a 10g.

img_3267286_0_e3e79640da4f7ec74bb00f81f755138b.jpg

Okay yeah I have heard they can by picky eaters, so I'll definitely let the RCS start reproducing. And out of curiosity, why would you do something else in a 10 gal?

Mine take frozen daphnia and baby brine shrimp.. I introduced a scud colony a few weeks before badis. The badis still stalk the substrate so I'm guessing the scuds are still present and sustaining.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good to know! I haven't found anywhere near me that sells scuds, unfortunately.

I got mine from Live Fins as well. I put some gravel, floating plants, and water in a large covered jar and added the scuds. Great live food!

100, i set up half in a Tupperware container, they breed pretty quick. Just an air stone and a monthly wc. Feed cucumber and lettuce and plant trimmings

I got mine from Live Fins as well. I put some gravel, floating plants, and water in a large covered jar and added the scuds. Great live food!

Sounds reliable then. And that sounds pretty easy. I'll make sure to get the scud colony up and running before I get the badis!

100, i set up half in a Tupperware container, they breed pretty quick. Just an air stone and a monthly wc. Feed cucumber and lettuce and plant trimmings

Did you put the other half of the scuds directly into the tank? And that's perfect. What size tank do you have your badis in? And how many?

I put 50 in the tank, it's a 7.5 gal bowfront with a pair of badis, 4 cory hastatus, shellans gourami and some rcs..

Awesome thanks for the info Brookster!

Back
Top Bottom