School of Guppies - Different kinds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
As guppies are a schooling fish, you should buy 5-6 of them at least. Of these, can they be different kinds of guppies? 2 fancy, 2 tequila, 2 turquoise, etc,? Or do they school by their very specific color/type?

Hijack alert! I have a similar question.. can you do that with cories too? 3 panda, 3 sterbai, and 3 peppered is what I'd like..

Again sorry to hijack

Different coloured guppies are still the same species, they've just been bred to emphasize different coloration, so they should school together.

Different corys are different species. I have bronze and peppered corys- they dont mind one another, but so far they dont school together, but keep to their own kind.

Guppies actually aren't a schooling fish, just social, and no cories will not school together if they are all different varieties. Just get 9 of the same and they will be very happy.

I have 3 Cory's in my tank they all look if the same species and were in the same tank at lfs however 1 is dark brown and 2 albinos. I noticed the albinos are way more active and hang out together and the dark guy hides in the caves and only occasionally schools with them. Racist?

I have 3 Cory's in my tank they all look if the same species and were in the same tank at lfs however 1 is dark brown and 2 albinos. I noticed the albinos are way more active and hang out together and the dark guy hides in the caves and only occasionally schools with them. Racist?

Haha, amazing, Racist corys, although i think i have the same problem...

As a result of this i am planning on splitting my albinos and bronze guys up and building bigger shoals of each in different tanks.

Back
Top Bottom