Schooling fish for species tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Wheatley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi folks,

I'm looking at making a bit of a change to my tanks. Both my 75s are done and stocked, but I'm going to re-do my 55, trading in some fish, etc.

I'm thinking about a Tiger Barb species tank and I think that with my filter (Fluval FX5 400g on the 55g) I think I can eventually do about 25-30 in there.

Are there any other schooling fish that anybody thinks would look nice as a species tank? I'd rather not do anything too big and would rather take a fish with a low bioload as I want to have the most fish that I can. I am considering Neons too and I think I could probably work my way towards 100 fish in there if I did those... Any other fish anybody can advise?

Tank has a medium blue background which gets darker towards the bottom (sprayed it myself) and reddish/orange gravel mixed with white/yellowed pond stones.

T(h)anks,

Tim.

Zebra Danios I would also agree with tiger barbs or you could do rosy barbs only about 15 to 20 of those though

Zebra Danios I would also agree with tiger barbs or you could do rosy barbs only about 15 to 20 of those though

I did think about Danios... I just don't remember them ever really using the whole tank, they just seemed to run around on the surface. TBs used all the tank when I had them so that's probably another thing I feel I need from whatever fish I get... :)

Tim Wheatley said:
I did think about Danios... I just don't remember them ever really using the whole tank, they just seemed to run around on the surface. TBs used all the tank when I had them so that's probably another thing I feel I need from whatever fish I get... :)

My zebra danios use the entire tank. Yes, they may use the top a lot, but they go all over for me.

Hi folks,

I'm looking at making a bit of a change to my tanks. Both my 75s are done and stocked, but I'm going to re-do my 55, trading in some fish, etc.

I'm thinking about a Tiger Barb species tank and I think that with my filter (Fluval FX5 400g on the 55g) I think I can eventually do about 25-30 in there.

GO BARBS!!!! There are soooo many types .... ok ok ... i'm a bit biased as my 75 gal is almost all Barbs (there's a Blue Gourami and RTS in there somewhere)

If you go with the TigerBarbs .. you can do a mixture of regular, albino and green TigerBarbs .... and all shoal together. One other Barb suggestion are Black Ruby Barbs ... the red and black colors the males turn during breeding looks so nice ... need a couple of females obviously.

i picked up some gold barbs a few weeks ago. They're incredibly playful and social, even with my serpaes. if you do a barb tank, don't leave them out :)

Emperor tetras would be fabulous IMO. They're bigger than a lot of other tetras, and they're really active like tiger barbs. I love their coloration. Here is a pic from the fishroom of a couple of our males.

DSC_0011.JPG

Oh, and they will most definitely use every inch of a 55 gallon. They're really fun to keep. :)

Last edited:
Rainbowfish!!! They look awesome with barbs, but they are pretty big depending on what you get. They have a barb, rainbowfish tank at my lfs and I am so jealous of that tank.

Back
Top Bottom