Schooling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shark_Bait

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to begin schooling in my tank. It's a 55 gal and currently has 4 DG, 1 guppy, 1 sword tail, 1 upside down cat, 1 serpae tetra, 1 rosy barb, 2 plecos. I would like to school swordtails and something else. any recomendations on what will get along the best?

i was looking into the barbs or tetras to go along with swordtails. after things are settled and my fish grow, i want to possibly bring in 2 angelfish, which i know may be aggressive but i plan to test the personalities and keep a calm couple.

I've tried putting barbs and angelfish together, but the barbs would nip at the angelfishes fins. Neon tetras, zebra danios, black tetras, t-shirt tetras, cardinal tetras, and more serpae would all be good candidates. they add color and creativity to your tank. make sure to keep them in groups of 5 or more! :)

i just don't want to add small tetras cuz the angels will chomp em up when they get bigger. i need schools that will be big enough to survive and hold their own.

hatchet fish are quite nice. they don't have much color but they are flashy in a lighted tank

Well if you were to get angelfish then you may not want to get neon tetras or cardinal tetras, as they are the natural prey of angelfish in the wild. However, I've read of experiences where they could be successfully kept with one another just as long as the tetras were pretty big in size.

Sorry for the double post, but harlequin rasboras seem to do really well with angelfish. So that's always an option I guess. They are a beautiful schooling fish IMO.

You can do maybe buenos aires, congo, columbian red & blue or emporer tetras. They are all pretty big tetras and they all school nicely in the two 55g tanks I have. If you wanted to go the tetra route

I am really liking the tetras. are we all in agreement that the rosy barbs are out of the question?

i wouldnt get barbs with the angelfish, thats just me personally, they seem to quick and agresive. they would probably nip at the angels fins.

Back
Top Bottom