Scored a free huge tank. Is stocking different now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't be disappointed fishymamma, I've been running a 65 gal oceanic tank continuously for 19 years. It's a nice sized tank that will allow you a lot of stocking options. I'm backing autumsky with the A.C. 110 recommendation. As for stocking:
Small colony of South American dwarf cichlids / 6x Australian or dwarf neon rainbow fish
8x Columbian tetras / 8x any type Cory cats / 1x bristlenose pleco.
Have fun with your new used tank.

Wow, thanks for the advice, folks! I have a large HOB filter somewhere in storage from when I ran a tank for my school. It would be awesome if it was a AC110!

I'm definitely going to be rethinking my stocking plan. Cories, for sure, as well as the Rummynose and Neon Tetras. Then a few Electric Blue Rams and a few Swordtails. How does that sound? Any glaring mistakes?

One last question, since it's 65 and not the 150, I'm thinking I CAN put it on my main floor as long as it's against the wall. Anyone have weight issues with a 65 gal. plus stand on a main floor, not a basement floor?

Every house is different, so if you want to be absolutely sure you can have someone qualified come in and do an inspection to make sure your floor can hold about 650lbs. People have 60+ gallon tanks in non-basements all the time, so chances are you're fine. You also want to make sure the tank is resting perpendicular to the floor joists so that the weight is able to distribute evenly.

I'm definitely going to be rethinking my stocking plan. Cories, for sure, as well as the Rummynose and Neon Tetras. Then a few Electric Blue Rams and a few Swordtails. How does that sound? Any glaring mistakes?

I think that would be fine but if it was me I would do just one group of tetras and double the size. The behaviors would see with a group of 6-8 tetras and 15-20 tetras is totally different.

With neons, the hardest part is finding quality stock.

Back
Top Bottom