scotch brite pad as bio-filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlissasDad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone ever tried this?

I don't want to leave my QT tank set up all the time so I'm thinking about soaking a piece of scotch brite pad in my main tank to use in the QT tank (UG filter) when I set it up.

As long as they don't have soap or a cleaning agent on/in them, it should be fine. i've seen posts of people on here using the store brand green pads as filter media.

As long as they don't have soap or a cleaning agent on/in them, it should be fine. i've seen posts of people on here using the store brand green pads as filter media.

Yeah, same idea. I don't know how porous the individual strands are, but it just seems like they would be a really good harbor for bacteria.

This was brought up on another forum I visit. The pads are treated with AL203 (aluminum oxide) which can be toxic, especially in acidic water.

If it were me, I would not take the chance.

What I do use, is plastic pot scrubbers, not any antibacterial kinds. I buy them 3 for $1.00. Been using them in my tanks for years.

those scotch pads work great, thats what i used in my 1 gallon cycling media tank,

in that tank w/ not animals or food only chemicals, in a week i started to get a brown growth on the sponge as i added ammonia to the tank and ammonia levels would drop.

they work great for this, and are good for cycling a new tank or a friends tank but im not sure about a permanent fixture unless water passed through it after being filtered through other media first to prevent collection of food.

Back
Top Bottom