Second Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greengirl49

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_0014.JPG
Hello all! This is my upgraded 39g tank. I can't reach the bottom so plants will be difficult. Put in a bunch of betta balls to keep it green.
I have 7 serpae tetras, 7 green tiger barbs, a male betta (king of the tank) an albino plecco and 4 snails.

I do a thorough vacuum once a week and change the filter every other week. My ammonia is around .25, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites and a ph about 7.2. Feed once a day. Fish seem happy. Anything else I should be doing?

Are you changing the filter pad or just rinsing it?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for asking. This past week I replaced it. Should I just be rinsing it?

You only need to replace them when they're literally falling apart, most of your bacteria is going to be in the filter material. When you rinse it you'll want to do it in the aquarium water you take out during a water change. Unfortunately the filter companies like to tell you to replace them so you buy more :/

You only need to replace them when they're literally falling apart, most of your bacteria is going to be in the filter material. When you rinse it you'll want to do it in the aquarium water you take out during a water change. Unfortunately the filter companies like to tell you to replace them so you buy more :/

Much appreciate the advice!

Also, your ammonia should always be at 0. I would do a partial water change before it gets higher

Also, your ammonia should always be at 0. I would do a partial water change before it gets higher

I do a 20% water change each week. I've been testing my levels right before I do my water change. Should I test it before and after? Is 20% enough?

Might not be if you still have .25 ammonia levels. Either that or your tank isn't cycled

Hey when I had my big I could barely reach the bottom without getting in up to my armpits, so I bought one of those daintier cheap claw/grabber things for people who have mobility issues, made dealing with plants and decor so much better

Hey when I had my big I could barely reach the bottom without getting in up to my armpits, so I bought one of those daintier cheap claw/grabber things for people who have mobility issues, made dealing with plants and decor so much better

Wow. Thanks for the idea. I have been looking around at stores for something like large extension salad tongs but haven't found anything. Lol.
This is a great idea. I'll let you know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom