seeding a filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonny2007

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am trying to seed a filter to speed up the cycle on my 125 :dance:, however i don't have any room to jam the filter in my current tank, so i buried it during my last pwc :whistle:. Will this work, and how long should i leave it in there?

Jonny2007 said:
I am trying to seed a filter to speed up the cycle on my 125 :dance:, however i don't have any room to jam the filter in my current tank, so i buried it during my last pwc :whistle:. Will this work, and how long should i leave it in there?

I think it would be better if the water were flowing from it and carrying it to a new filter cartridge but that will probably still help :)

Thats what i thought but the filters are diff so it would not fit and i thought this was a good backup.

Jonny2007 said:
Thats what i thought but the filters are diff so it would not fit and i thought this was a good backup.

It'll probably help... I'm trying to seed a filter as well :) lol I had to ask for help:) I think anything with BB on it is an asset :)

Yeah i hope so, i even put the water from my pwc's in the big tank, I know it won't help much, but it cant hurt. It is really hard to not put my fish in it, i have time to get the scape just right though :ermm:

Jonny2007 said:
Yeah i hope so, i even put the water from my pwc's in the big tank, I know it won't help much, but it cant hurt. It is really hard to not put my fish in it, i have time to get the scape just right though :ermm:

Lol it's hard being patient :)

that's why im tinkering ive been rock hunting, boiling rocks, getting wood and burring filters lol:popcorn:

Jonny2007 said:
that's why im tinkering ive been rock hunting, boiling rocks, getting wood and burring filters lol:popcorn:

Same here. I went to the lake and found some driftwood :) it was fun

Beneficial bacteria love oxygen rich environments which is why they tend to colonize in large portions within the filter media. The substrate is not as rich in oxygen as the filter, so it won't develop as much BB as in other areas IMO/E.

Ideally, you would take the new filter, place it right behind and pressed up against the old (where the old filter is the first thing the water contacts and pushes it into the new).

If thats not an option...as you said, something is better than nothing.

Last edited:
Jonny2007 said:
i buy my drift wood so much easier.

It's cheaper!! Haha and with seven tanks I can use cheap!!! I just rinsed it and bushes it with a toothbrush and threw it in the dishwasher and put it in my tank :D

eco i have an air stone in my tank would it help if i tied the filter down over it?

Back
Top Bottom