Seeding a new aquarium with filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tippytrampoline

Aquarium Advice Activist
I did a search for my specific question, but came up empty handed.

Simple: I'm seeding a friend's new freshwater nano from my own 29g aquarium, so that she can safely and easily create a home for a betta (she is rather new to the hobby, and I would like to help her avoid potential consequences and newbie mistakes as best I can). So, if I seed her filter media in my own, about how long should I allow it to stay in my tank before transferring it to be sure a decent colony of BB has grown?

What is the size difference her tank to yours? How long have you been set up?

If you have the bigger tank, run her filter and housing along side yours for 2-3 weeks. It should be good and dirty (BB inhabited) . Then give it back to her.

Plus how many fish will she have?

A few weeks probably but since it's only for a betta I'd just take a portion of your media and put it directly into her filter. This should instantly cycle it for a betta (I'd make sure she tests her tank though to be sure there aren't any temporary spikes). I took a small filter pad from my larger tank when I got my betta and it instantly cycled it, never had an issue. Test your tank too after you remove the media in case your tank goes into a temporary mini-cycle as well.

What is the size difference her tank to yours? How long have you been set up?

If you have the bigger tank, run her filter and housing along side yours for 2-3 weeks. It should be good and dirty (BB inhabited) . Then give it back to her.

Plus how many fish will she have?

Uhmmm it's about a 27 gallon difference haha. Hers I believe is ~2g, mine 29. The filter is one of those tiny ones that cascade from the top with internal submersible water pump.

A few weeks probably but since it's only for a betta I'd just take a portion of your media and put it directly into her filter. This should instantly cycle it for a betta (I'd make sure she tests her tank though to be sure there aren't any temporary spikes). I took a small filter pad from my larger tank when I got my betta and it instantly cycled it, never had an issue. Test your tank too after you remove the media in case your tank goes into a temporary mini-cycle as well.

Okay that sounds about perfect :) thank you

Back
Top Bottom