Seeding a new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've found this while searching for different ideas and methods. I've just got my new filter for my new tank and am looking at the best way to seed the filter so that I can stick it in the new tank, ready to go! I have 2 mature established tanks to pinch some sponges from. Thoughts?

http://www.aquariumoddities.com/blog/739/

You can transfeR one filter or you can just move the media.

Hmmm. Well one filter is built into my hood so that's out. But, oh... Um... I have to think about this logistically. I have 3 goldfish moving into a new 40g from their smaller tank. I could move the filter from that into the new tank alongside the new filter. This leaves the smaller tank empty and filter less. What would I do with that? Do I drain it and refill it when I'm ready to put something in it? What do I do with the substrate (sand)? Leave it in there? I realise now I hadn't entirely thought this through. Whichever way I do it, I need to keep the bacteria alive in the small tank. I could put the sand from that tank into the new tank too and place new sand (ill have excess from the new sand for the big tank) into the small one when I'm ready. Oh dear me, can someone make sense of all this?

If you haven't started you new tank yet I would just transfer everything from the small tank to the big tank. If its the same sand you are using in both tanks add a little more from the new bag. Rinse your small tank and let it dry out.

If you haven't started you new tank yet I would just transfer everything from the small tank to the big tank. If its the same sand you are using in both tanks add a little more from the new bag. Rinse your small tank and let it dry out.

I have white sand in the small tank. I'm going the play sand route for the big tank. It'll probably be a fair bit yellower. Doesn't matter I suppose. I can mix it all in and you won't know the difference. Thanks for your help! Sorted.

Oh, how long would you recommend running both filters together? I have (for the time being) placed the new sponges into my big trickle filter to begin the seeding process. I'm hoping to have the new tank set up next week.

You don't have to mix your sand you can just rinse it out and put it aside. Filters I would suggest at least 3 weeks.

You may be able to run both filters in the small tank. wait a couple of weeks then just start you're new tank

You may be able to run both filters in the small tank. wait a couple of weeks then just start you're new tank

Good idea in theory, but my new filter is the fluval u4 and it's huge. It won't fit the smaller tank, it's just too long. I'll run them both on the new tank. Virtually the same difference. And I'm clearly making this all much more complicated than it needs to be. I've successfully cycled two tanks with fish, why on earth am I panicking over this one? Thanks very much for your help, it's very much appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom