Seeding a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've heard of the pantyhose with substrate method. I have a Betta tank that is established, and I want to seed my new tank. My question is, do I have to use new pantyhose, or can they be old ones? I'm not sure if my mom would be very pleased with going and having to buy my tank a pair of pantyhose of it's very own. Thanks in advance.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Its best if you use new ones, but providing you wash them in hot water a few times they should be fine.

The problem with used ones is the washing detergent, this is what you are trying to wash off.

So if I wash them several times in hot water it could work? If I absolutely have to get new ones I might be able to, but less money is better. We need all the money we can save for ogre things such as fish. I know pantyhose don't cost much, but every penny literally counts.

If it was my choice, then I would go for new ones to save the effort, but otherwise they need to be cleaned until every last soapy bubble has came off them, and they no longer smell of detergent.

Do you have a dollar store near you or walmart? Pantyhouse can be like one dollar. Really. I'm a chick. there not good ones that youd wanna wear but for your purpose it should do fine. Or even try knee high panythose, like socks but made out of pantyhose material.

:)

Yeah, they don't cost much. I was kind of exaggerating, but luckily my mom had some that were still in the package. She let me destroy them, and I'm letting them soak in hot water while I pack for my dads apartment tonight. Then after I pack I'll seed my tank!! Yay, shorter cycle!!

The tank is seeded, and now I just have to wait. I've done all I can to speed up the cycle. It's seeded and the temp is in the eighties, around eighty-four.

Back
Top Bottom