Seeding for a cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am upgrading to a 55gal and I have been seeding an Emperor 400 on the front of my 20gal for a week and plan to leave it for another week. I am moving my African Cichlids to the larger tank and what I am asking about is: will this be enough bacteria to combat a cycle?
TIA
Mike

Are you leaving any fish in the 20 gallon? If not move everything at once including the filter. The in a month or so disconnect the old filter and you are done.

If you aren't moving everything two weeks will give you a head start but you may still experience a bit of a cycle.

Well there is 2 babies 5wks old and the group of 4 youngsters before them I was going to leave in the 20 till they grew more. But I may just move them all. thanks

Move the new filter and the old filter cartridge to the new tank.Leave the wee ones in the old tank and just add a new cartridge for filtration.

You will be moving most of your bioload and leaving very little load in the old one...you will not notice a blip in test results in it imo (in the 20).

Expect some elevations in ammonia and nitrite in the new tank,but ime they will be minimal.No higher then .25 in my case.

Either way its the best way to bring a new tank around imo.

Back
Top Bottom