Seeding media in an established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JETBLAST

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've got some media running in an established 20 gallon tank and I'm wondering how long I should leave it there before I can move it to a new tank? Are we talking a couple of days or does it need to stay for weeks?

Any help much appreciated.

hi,what type of media?(ceramic rings,sponge or cartridges)...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not sure I understand, if it was established then it already should have it's own beneficial bacteria in there. Maybe I have the wrong definition of established? What does a water test tell you??

i think he is trying to seed a new tank filter media in his already stablished filter media...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Run both filters for a couple weeks and new filter should be cycled.
When you move it to new tank stocking should be between 1/2 to 3/4 of tank you are cycling new filter in IMO for the beginning allowing the BB to grow larger if needed over time(weekly additions ?).

Hi everyone,

It's an HOB cartridge for a penguin 350. I've placed the new cartridge into an older already established tank and I'm wondering how long I need to leave it there before putting in the brand new tank so I can establish the bacteria colony,

A week or two.

I put a rick that is small enough to fit but big enough to stay still behind the cartridges or new tank filters as well as seeding; the rocks i use are extremely porous and have lots of BB. Its not needed but that way i can seed only one cartridge of the filter and can put the rock behind the other.

Obviously the dock would've been in the established tank so it had some BB in it already.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom