Seeding new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just got set up my new fluval 304 filter on my 55gal on friday night. I am still runing my old hang on back with it to hopefully seed it. I was wondering how long it took? Also is there anything i can use for the output under water? I wanted to have a current moving more under water than on the surface where it disturbs my african butterfly fish. I just have the out put pouring the water against the side of the glass so it doesn't spray water as far.
TIA

You could buy or make a spray bar to attach to the outflow, but surface agitation helps with CO2 exchange. Didn't the filter come with suction cup brackets to attach the hoses? It's quite simple to submerge the outflow deeper, just use the brackets on the back of the tank, and two of the hose elbows at the top of the rim. Adjust the hose inside the tank a bit longer below the elbows. I'd give it about 3-4 weeks to become established, unless you put the filter media from the hob in the fluval.

I was reading the manual and it said to leave the out put above the surface.

My other question about seeding would be... my hob filter is a top fin 60. It uses the sliding filter medias. My thinking is they don't grow as much bacteria. Considering they are just floss and carbon. So would it really actually seed my canister?

If you strip the floss and dump the carbon with it into a media basket in the fluval, you won't lose any bacteria already established, As for seeding, the bacteria will grow on just about any surface in a tank or filter, over time. I have the same filter set up on a 55, but I also have a penn-plax UG filter, run by 2 large AC powerheads. They are set up for reverse-flow, so oxygenated water gets circulated through the whole tank very well. The manual says not to put the outflow below the surface because that reduces agitation and CO2 exchange. Putting a good air pump in the corner that the outflow points away from would help quite a bit, if you want to submerge the outflow.

I just want to put it a little bit below the surface to help reduce noise (its in my bedroom), and to disturb me ABF less. I will go ahead and put the carbon from my hob in my canister. I will be happy to get rid of the HOB its so loud.

Back
Top Bottom