Seeding new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

segrayson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to seed my new 40 gallon breeder with media from my 29 gallon. After I have moved the media, do I need to dose any ammonia? I don't plan to introduce fish until all the water parameters look good, but in order to completely cycle the tank, I wasn't sure if I need to dose ammonia to speed things up. Thanks for any help!

I think you'll have to do something to make sure that you're feeding something to your seeded bacteria. I used seeded material for my 55g from my 20g and almost immediately put in a few fish. The bacteria will need something to thrive on. I used about 25% of my initial stock list. Then when my parameters stayed solid, I added some more to make sure it stayed fed.

So yes, I believe you will need some source of ammonia for it.

I have a few fish (5 cories and some Kribensis fry) to move when the tank is ready. Do I need to add ammonia to make sure it's cycled properly if I have fish ready to go in?

I have a few fish (5 cories and some Kribensis fry) to move when the tank is ready. Do I need to add ammonia to make sure it's cycled properly if I have fish ready to go in?

It's up to you. You can set up the tank, add some media from the other tank and add the Corys and fry. Then test the water daily for a while and to check ammonia and nitrite; if either one show up, do water changes to keep them as close to 0 as you can until the tank fully establishes itself. Or you can add some ammonia until you consistently see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite for at least a few days.

I didn't, and my parameters never dipped. The fish should feed the bacteria, as long as you don't start out with too many fish that produce more ammonia than your bacteria can handle!

Hopefully an expert will chime in with some advice. If you do add fish right away, I'd make sure to test the parameters daily until you're sure that the seeded bacteria is enough to sustain the fish you've added.

I've heard several comments from people who don't even go through a cycle if they've seeded enough bacteria!

Good luck.

Thank you so much! I'm excited to get new fish in there, but I have had all of the fish I am moving for a while now and I want to make sure they are put into a 'healthy' setup.

I don't blame you. I swear one of my biggest fears is a fish dying. It's just sad and feals like a failure. Can't stand failure! LOL!

Post some pics when you can!

Back
Top Bottom