Seeding new tank filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hannahpops

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

So im currently setting up a new 125L tank. I understand the cycling process and the importance of it, so would like to make sure I get things right and avoid any unhappy inhabitants.

I was planning on using a portion of the sponge from within my current filter on my 240L tank, along with some moss balls and a number of plants in order to 'seed' the beneficial bacteria in the new tank.

What im unsure of is what is the best time to add the fish to the new tank? On the one hand I know its best to wait until all your parameters etc are stable but on the other hand ive heard that without some waste to feed the bacteria, the cycle can crash, so I didn't want that to happen.

Some advice would be appreciated :).

Hello hannah...

By adding the media from an already cycled tank, the new tank is cycled. You can add fish to the new tank any time, but do it very slowly. Have your water testing kit handy to test for traces of nitrogen (dissolved fish waste) in the new tank. I would test daily. You don't want to add fish too quickly and overload the bacteria colony. It needs some time to grow.

Don't forget to replace the media you removed from the older tank. The bacteria will reproduce to its original level in a few hours.

B

most of the times the new tank will be ready to go with this approach. as B above suggested do monitor the conditions. good luck!

I will be right there behind you - restarting my 55 gal later this week, media already seeding. While the fish will not be in until few days later (plan on leaving some cash at local fish swap this weekend) i still will be feeding the tank a little bit everyday while monitoring ammonia/nitrite.

On this topic...a friend of mine has said she would give me some gravel and an old filter insert. A). Should I put the gravel in a net and place it in the filter? B). The filter is activated carbon, someone said not to bother with that, but wouldn't their be beneficial bacteria in/on it? Her tank is 2 years old with goldfish that have never been sick.
Thanks

Instant Tank Cycling

On this topic...a friend of mine has said she would give me some gravel and an old filter insert. A). Should I put the gravel in a net and place it in the filter? B). The filter is activated carbon, someone said not to bother with that, but wouldn't their be beneficial bacteria in/on it? Her tank is 2 years old with goldfish that have never been sick.
Thanks

Cor...

Beneficial bacteria grows on all surfaces in an established tank. If the media is kept moist during transport, it can go into the new tank filter. Or, you can can hang it next to the new tank filter where you have steady movement of the surface water to provide a source of oxygen to the bacteria.

B

I have also read that Live plants can also help with the cycling process and also generally help with water quality and balance within a tank. Ive always used lots of live plants but am only recently learning more and more about the benefits. :)

I have also read that Live plants can also help with the cycling process and also generally help with water quality and balance within a tank. Ive always used lots of live plants but am only recently learning more and more about the benefits. :)
I have one anubias which seems quite happy. I was just looking up other low light plants. The internet can be so contradicting sometimes.

Coralocean,
Anubais is great. I think my favorite plant. it sure will help with cycle, but just how much is to be determined. although I'm of those people who don't bother with carbon it will surely not hurt anything at this point.
I think the biggest thing that helps you right now is the patience to keep the tank empty of fish and start things right (and perhaps its all ready by now).

Just in case FYI, Chicagoland Cichlid club is holding fish swap this upcoming Sunday. perhaps will be of interest to you.

Aquatic Plants

Hello again...

You are right about the plants. Floating plants work especially well at filtering nitrogen from the tank water. They take in nutrients through the leaves. Water sprite is a good one. If your Water sprite grows well, you know the water quality is good.

B

Hello again...

You are right about the plants. Floating plants work especially well at filtering nitrogen from the tank water. They take in nutrients through the leaves. Water sprite is a good one. If your Water sprite grows well, you know the water quality is good.

B

Funnily enough i have just been researching what plants im going to put into this tank. Looks like I have some more to look into :) thanks BBradbury.

Back
Top Bottom