seeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

granny50

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a friend who has a Oscar tank 150 gallons-- If I get a rock from her aquarium would this be enough to seed my aquarium? I have a 46 gallon tank-- How do I transport this media?

Thanks! Granny

Be better off to see if she'll give you one of her used filter pads. The rock won't provide much but if you do then transport it in a bucket of tank (or dechlor'd tap water). Keep the temp near 80. I assume it's not to far.

CaptainAhab is correct, a used filter media will be best and a handfull of gravel you can borrow as well. (you can put the gravel in an old nylon and lay it in the bottom of the tank while it is cycling)
Temp doesn't matter but do keep it wet. In fact the bacteria will survive longer if it is kept cool. In any case the sooner you can get it from your friends tank and into yours the better.

The temperature for optimum growth of nitrifying bacteria is between 77-86° F (25-30° C).​
Growth rate is decreased by 50% at 64° F (18° C).​
Growth rate is decreased by 75% at 46-50° F.​
No activity will occur at 39° F (4° C)​
Nitrifying bacteria will die at 32° F (0° C).​
Nitrifying bacteria will die at 120° F (49° C)​
Nitrobacter is less tolerant of low temperatures than Nitrosomonas. In cold water systems, care must be taken to monitor the accumulation of nitrites.​

The temperature for optimum growth of nitrifying bacteria is between 77-86° F (25-30° C).​

Growth rate is decreased by 50% at 64° F (18° C).​

Growth rate is decreased by 75% at 46-50° F.​

No activity will occur at 39° F (4° C)​

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 32° F (0° C).​

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 120° F (49° C)​

Nitrobacter is less tolerant of low temperatures than Nitrosomonas. In cold water systems, care must be taken to monitor the accumulation of nitrites.​

In a transportation situation, growth rate is irrelevant. The desire is to minimize loss of bacteria during transportation. Cooling the bacteria will slow down it's biological activity... including die-off from lack of food during transportation. So as long as you don't freeze it, cooling would be better than warming (think Bio-spira... they referigerate it for a reason).

HooKooDooKu beat me to it.
It is desirable to slow the growth rate to prevent starvation of the bacteria.
The bacteria can remain alive much longer in cool temps with minimal growth.
That is why Bio-Spira has to be kept refrigerated, or used to anyway.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about moving the rock a short distance and not second day air to Qatar

I'm pretty sure we're talking about moving the rock a short distance and not second day air to Qatar
We are but the debate was that is does not have to be kept at 80* as stated. Temp is not important as long as it is not allowed to freeze she will be alright.

So true... and by the same token, there isn't any point in expending extra effort at maintaining any particular temperature either.

After all, the most common way to make this sort of transport would be to put it in a bucket and put a lid on the bucket to avoid spilling the water in your car (don't want a trunk full of tank water from slaming on the brakes to avoid running into the idiot that cut you off).

But if you start trying to add a heater to the mix, you would likely loose the "protection" of having a lid on the bucket.

BTW, the various numbers are interesting to know (because before this discussion, I didn't know them)... but the only ones that are important for this particular discussion are 32 and 120... keep your water between those two numbers and everything will be ok for the car trip home.

Thanks everyone!! Now if she will only call me back I can get this show on the road.....

Regarding the nylon- A new one rinsed in fresh water is better than anld one w/ possibly a touch of woolite residue. IMO..

Back
Top Bottom