self doubting-- please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfishyfishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i'm at the end of my first fishless cycle, and I'm still not sure how to stock my tank! I had such a bad experience with my first tank after stocking completely wrong, and I feel that no matter how much research you do on the fish you want, nothing can beat hearing from a real person with experience....

that said, I'm looking to stock a 35 gallon tank with sand substrate. I wanted to have a one good sized fish to serve as a centerpiece, but I'm starting to think that won't work.

Some fish I like are:
kissing gouramis
dwarf gouramis
rainbowfish
tetras
neon tetras
cories

I'm pretty sure i can't have a kisser, but i can dream, right?

I'm having a hard time coming up with a good combination of some of these fish, as well as determining how many I can get without overstocking. ANY suggestions would be wonderful!

thanks!!

I would reccomeend any of the follwoing

1 Dwarf Gouramia

5 Tinfin Tertras

3 Cory Cats

and maybe a Clown Pleco to eat alegea they dont gte very big.

Dan :)

I have a dwarf gourami as my centerpiece in my 46g tank....he's beautiful. Dwarfs come in "honey", "blue", etc.

Dan's suggestions are great...here's some more ideas:

1 neon blue dwarf gourami
6-7 rainbowfish
3-4 panda cory catfish
3-5 otocinclus

You'd still have room for a small school of something else....SOME types of barbs and/or tetras may work....

Well, whatever you choose, add fish slowly, even if your tank is already cycled. For the schooling fish (cories, tetras) add 3 at a time. They will prefer to be in groups and it will be less stress. Good luck with your tank!!!

quick question and a stocking plan

i have heard that dwarf gouramis prefer to be in pairs. Is this true?

So now i'm thinking:

1 dwarf gourami
5 rainbowfish
4 cories
5 tetras (black phantom?)
1 clown pleco

how does this sound?

Also - be careful with Pink Kissers. Mine were very aggressive against my tetras a while back and killed a number of them.

Your list looks great. Dwarf gouramis are best by themselves. You may be able to get away with 2 if they are male and female, but I wouldn't risk it. (2 males or 2 females will most likely mean war in your size tank)

Back
Top Bottom