Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Semi newbi needs help.

So this will be my third fish thank i have owned. I have only owned freshwater tanks/fish before. I'm looking to start again with a 12 gal tank.

My question is that this time i would like "real" plants and need a fish or something that is a "tank cleaner" to help my tank stay clean. Also i was wondering if i could get some recommendations on what set-up i should have i.e. what fish to get.

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

For a first planted tank you might want to go with low light/tech.

Cleaner fish you want something to help with algae or with left over food. Any fish you put in make sure it is plant friendly.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

For a first planted tank, check out the sticky on the planted forum:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ics/Page1.html
and this:
PG: Setting up your first planted tank - PlantGeek.net

Depends on what fish you want in the tank as to what plants are suitable ... different plants if you have "diggers" or plant eaters.

Certainly a low tech no CO2 tank is a good place to start. Tough, almost indestructible plants would include: Java fern & moss, anubias, certain crypts.

Algae eating fish for a 12 gal - Otocinclus is prob the best ... most others get too big. Nerite snails is another possibility if you can find them. Shrimps are good too if you fish won't snack on them.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com