Semi newbi needs help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McSullivan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So this will be my third fish thank i have owned. I have only owned freshwater tanks/fish before. I'm looking to start again with a 12 gal tank.

My question is that this time i would like "real" plants and need a fish or something that is a "tank cleaner" to help my tank stay clean. Also i was wondering if i could get some recommendations on what set-up i should have i.e. what fish to get.

Thanks!

For a first planted tank you might want to go with low light/tech.

Cleaner fish you want something to help with algae or with left over food. Any fish you put in make sure it is plant friendly.

For a first planted tank, check out the sticky on the planted forum:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/32/1/Planted-tank-basics/Page1.html
and this:
PG: Setting up your first planted tank - PlantGeek.net

Depends on what fish you want in the tank as to what plants are suitable ... different plants if you have "diggers" or plant eaters.

Certainly a low tech no CO2 tank is a good place to start. Tough, almost indestructible plants would include: Java fern & moss, anubias, certain crypts.

Algae eating fish for a 12 gal - Otocinclus is prob the best ... most others get too big. Nerite snails is another possibility if you can find them. Shrimps are good too if you fish won't snack on them.

Back
Top Bottom