Set up new RCS tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to start up a new RCS tank, but I'm wondering if I can seed it from my 10 gallon tank.

I have a lava rock in my 10 gallon with java moss on it and I was wondering if that has any of the beneficial bacteria and if that would suffice in the seeding on the shrimp tank.

I want to use the lava rock as a hiding spot for the shrimp since it's quite big with a whole in the center and the java moss that has grown attached to it.

I want to start up a new RCS tank, but I'm wondering if I can seed it from my 10 gallon tank.

I have a lava rock in my 10 gallon with java moss on it and I was wondering if that has any of the beneficial bacteria and if that would suffice in the seeding on the shrimp tank.

I want to use the lava rock as a hiding spot for the shrimp since it's quite big with a whole in the center and the java moss that has grown attached to it.
Sure, you can seed it from your 10 gallon tank. HOw big will the RCS tank be? Yes, the lava rock has BB on it. Since rcs have very small bioloads, it may be enough to seed the new tank, but I am not positive. I set up a sponge filter in my rcs tank that I seeded in my 40 gallon community.

Absoluteangel is right, what kind of filtre were you thinking about? You should run it for a couple of weeks in your 10 gal, then transfer it and your good to go.

Or, just borrow some filter media from your other tank and use it in the new tank, instant cycle! ;)

That's another option of seeding media. Now that I have so many tanks, I put the new filter media into the existing tank filter for at least a month to seed it, then set up the new tank, grab the seeded media, start the filter up and voila, instant cycle. (y)

Thank you all for the help! Seems like I'll either use the new filter media in my 10 gal or borrow some of the old filter media in conjunction with adding the lava rock.

The RCS tank will be 4 gal with a penguin bio-wheel filter. I have already covered the filter intake.

Another question.

Would bee shrimp or crystal red shrimp also breed in a tank with RCS?

I dont think so. RCS like higher pHs and CRS like lower pHs near six. It would be hard to satisfy both. I think RCS like in the upper 7s and CRS like lower 6s.

I keep rcs and crs together. I have had issues getting my CRS to breed, but I don't think it's directly related to the RCS being in there. They've been breeding a little bit over the past few months anyhow, but I think the key was to adjust water parameters to suit the more picky CRS, red cherries are extremely adaptable and do fine in soft water and have been breeding nonstop no matter what I do to the water.

Back
Top Bottom