Set up of my "new" 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found a 55 gallon aquarium with stand on craigslist! Came with some decorations, hood, light, and a filter... Although its a cheap filter, I'll be replacing that with an Aquaclear probably!

I want to start a thread to get others advice on the set up and stock of this tank!

I have cleaned the tank and checked for leaks.. I didn't see a leak but I did find a crack in the trim... I should be able to glue that back and it be ok.. Right?

I bought 100 lbs of white play sand that I am going to use for substrate... Should I use an egg crate?

I am undecided on if I want a cichlid tank or a community tank! I know cichlid like just rocks, no plants, and I enjoy the planted tanks, so I dunno..

I'll post the thoughts of stock in a few... Right now, heres the tank.. :)

Nice find, and good luck with it!

Just one consideration, from the picture it looks as though the aquarium might be pretty close to a window. You might want to try a spot with less direct sunlight, otherwise you might be constantly battling algae.

Best!

nice tank, Momma... I am also setting up a new 55 gallon fresh water, I haven't had a tank set up for about 7 years so I'm a little behind the times and I was wondering if y'all have any recommendations for a LED light? It looks as if a 48" costs about $120, is that about right for a double or is a double even necessary? I do plan on using real plants but am way confused on the LED lighting. Do I need both white & blues LED's? What's the difference from "moon" lighting? Should I also have a controller or timer to run it? Thanks in advance

RussellC said:
Nice find, and good luck with it!

Just one consideration, from the picture it looks as though the aquarium might be pretty close to a window. You might want to try a spot with less direct sunlight, otherwise you might be constantly battling algae.

Best!

I know it is beside the window, however I don't have anywhere else to put it.. I'm hoping since the blinds never get opened that the sun won't be an issue! Is there anything I can do to help with the potential algae problem from happening, besides moving the tank?

beavis64 said:
nice tank, Momma... I am also setting up a new 55 gallon fresh water, I haven't had a tank set up for about 7 years so I'm a little behind the times and I was wondering if y'all have any recommendations for a LED light? It looks as if a 48" costs about $120, is that about right for a double or is a double even necessary? I do plan on using real plants but am way confused on the LED lighting. Do I need both white & blues LED's? What's the difference from "moon" lighting? Should I also have a controller or timer to run it? Thanks in advance

The best place to ask lighting questions, especially for live planted tanks, is in the plant forum! :)

I know it is beside the window, however I don't have anywhere else to put it.. I'm hoping since the blinds never get opened that the sun won't be an issue! Is there anything I can do to help with the potential algae problem from happening, besides moving the tank?

You can try blocking out whatever sunlight the blinds miss by putting an opaque border on the sides and back of the tank. The good news is that these can be quite decorative. :)

Light is the main contributor to algae, but nutrients (specifically nitrates) are the other. More frequent water changes to keep nitrates down to a minimum once the tank's cycle has established may also help.

Additionally, live plants can compete with algae for nutrients, and sometimes help as well.

Maybe you'll get lucky and won't have an issue, but if you do, I'm sure the forum can help you out.

Best!

RussellC said:
You can try blocking out whatever sunlight the blinds miss by putting an opaque border on the sides and back of the tank. The good news is that these can be quite decorative. :)

Light is the main contributor to algae, but nutrients (specifically nitrates) are the other. More frequent water changes to keep nitrates down to a minimum once the tank's cycle has established may also help.

Additionally, live plants can compete with algae for nutrients, and sometimes help as well.

Maybe you'll get lucky and won't have an issue, but if you do, I'm sure the forum can help you out.

Best!

Thank you so much! :)

Community planted tanks can be beautiful. What kind of fish were you thinking of?

Oh my... there are SO many to choose from!!!! I am unsure of what I want to do with this tank! I've thought about a cichlid tank... and I like a lot of cichlids but I don't know if I'm too crazy about just rocks in my tank! I've also thought about discus, but figure they might need a bigger tank, or just an assortment of different fish... I love rams.. but I also want to keep my options open seeings as how I still have room in my other tank to add some different fish! :) As you can tell, I'm kind of conflicted!!!

I love beautiful colorful fish.. I adore rams because they have color and a unique look... but I could still put a couple in one tank and something different in another? I dunno...

Like I've stated before... I want kind of an assortment of fish.. not the same species... So, maybe a cichlid tank wouldn't work.... although it would be very beautiful!!! :confused: Sooooo Many Options! LOL :fish2:

I agree Rams are very nice. I've always been afraid to have them. lol I would love to have Discus too but again afraid to have them and they are cost prohibitive for me.
Cichlids are great fish but I always side with the nicely planted tank. Best wishes for whichever you choose!

brennae said:
I agree Rams are very nice. I've always been afraid to have them. lol I would love to have Discus too but again afraid to have them and they are cost prohibitive for me.
Cichlids are great fish but I always side with the nicely planted tank. Best wishes for whichever you choose!

Yes, I agree, on all the above! Lol Thank you! :)

This tank is becoming quite expensive! Lol Just bought filters and an"egg crate"! Now to walk the river and try to find some rocks so I can set this up tonight!

Of course I'm biased towards Africans...and I know rocks don't seem that great but you would be amazed at what you can do with them. Here are pis of two of my cichlid tanks.

Attachments

• image-3007507963.jpg
    image-3007507963.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 122
  • image-3740697589.jpg
    image-3740697589.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3603212341.jpg
    image-3603212341.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3663146593.jpg
    image-3663146593.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 111
Mcass said:
Of course I'm biased towards Africans...and I know rocks don't seem that great but you would be amazed at what you can do with them. Here are pis of two of my cichlid tanks.

Those are really cool! I was told that cichlids don't do well with plants though? What's the dips in substrate for?

I always use a few artificial plants to bring in a little color. As long as they are weighted or secured somehow it isn't an issue. Many cichlids like to dig and that is where the plants don't do well in that after they move the substrate from around the plant, the plants will float.

I chose not to use an egg crate for mine. Most of the dips and valleys in my sand is caused by both the cichlids digging as well as from the currents created by the power heads.

Mcass said:
I always use a few artificial plants to bring in a little color. As long as they are weighted or secured somehow it isn't an issue. Many cichlids like to dig and that is where the plants don't do well in that after they move the substrate from around the plant, the plants will float.

I chose not to use an egg crate for mine. Most of the dips and valleys in my sand is caused by both the cichlids digging as well as from the currents created by the power heads.

Power heads... Another thing I was wondering about, do I need one of those?

I picked up 2 AC filters today... A 70 and 30, an egg crate, and some river rocks today.. Have to figure out tomorrow how to clean the rocks properly and rinse the sand and I will be ready to set it up! Whoo hoo!

Back
Top Bottom