setting up my 46 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a 46 gallon bow front tank. i would like to have it planted with some larger fish and defiantly a big catfish.

Do you have a any particular question?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1 pictus catfish
2 peppermint crocodile fish
6 boesemani rainbowfish
1 bristlenose pleco

1 pictus catfish

2 peppermint crocodile fish

6 boesemani rainbowfish

1 bristlenose pleco

Pictus like to school. Lots of times they aren't put into groups, but they are meant to.

I would maybe to a Rapeal, the smaller variety gets about 8 inches and its really a cool fish, and its an ok size for the tank. They do hide a lot though. And if any fish are small, like 1-2 inches, they may get eaten.

1x Rapheal
1x Bristlenose Pleco
5x Sparkling Gourami

It is a weird list of stock, but that is what i would do.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Pictus like to school. Lots of times they aren't put into groups, but they are meant to.

I would maybe to a Rapeal, the smaller variety gets about 8 inches and its really a cool fish, and its an ok size for the tank. They do hide a lot though. And if any fish are small, like 1-2 inches, they may get eaten.

1x Rapheal
1x Bristlenose Pleco
5x Sparkling Gourami

It is a weird list of stock, but that is what i would do.

Sparkling gouramis aren't big fish. And I have never heard of pictus cats schooling. I've seen many pictus cats that lived for years alone. Including my own. Maybe you're mixing them up with Colombian catfish?

And my 1 1/2 inch Raphael cat I hated. It was eating fish that were the SAME size as it. Such as black neon tetras. It would probably devour sparkling gouramis.

Sparkling gouramis aren't big fish. And I have never heard of pictus cats schooling. I've seen many pictus cats that lived for years alone. Including my own. Maybe you're mixing them up with Colombian catfish?

And my 1 1/2 inch Raphael cat I hated. It was eating fish that were the SAME size as it. Such as black neon tetras. It would probably devour sparkling gouramis.

Look at number 2:
http://www.hookacatfish.org/6-exciting-facts-pictus-catfish-may-know/

That proves my point; they should be kept in schools but a lot of people don't think its needed and keep them alone. At least a pair or a trio, preferably a school. But alas...

Also, Sparkling Gourami get about 3-4 inches long and are very deep bodied. They should be fine with a Rapheal.

You could do a trio of Pictus, and maybe a smaller cichlid like a Rainbow Cichlid, a Convict Cichlid, or a Firemouth Cichlid. But that is a bit overstocked so you would be looking at at least 50% water change every week.

If you want to be able to have a few other fish besides the Cats, then do a Rapheal.

I forgot to mention; you can find varieties of Syno that stay somewhat small. Maybe one of those? They can go with lots of other fish!

Larger catfish are rougher. Do you want any smaller fish? Cuz if you do they might get eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Look at number 2:
http://www.hookacatfish.org/6-exciting-facts-pictus-catfish-may-know/

That proves my point; they should be kept in schools but a lot of people don't think its needed and keep them alone. At least a pair or a trio, preferably a school. But alas...

Also, Sparkling Gourami get about 3-4 inches long and are very deep bodied. They should be fine with a Rapheal.

You are mistaken. Sparkling Gourami are often used in 10g Nano tanks. They stay about 1-1.5". They are slow predators that will not compete in most community tanks. They sometimes only eat live food. They become very timid around larger more aggressive tank mates. A Catfish would snack on them.

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+1562&pcatid=1562

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would like to have a few other large fish, i would like prehistoric/oddball fish noting that is crazy expensive over $20 i liked the idea of the peppermint pike head

You are mistaken. Sparkling Gourami are often used in 10g Nano tanks. They stay about 1-1.5". They are slow predators that will not compete in most community tanks. They sometimes only eat live food. They become very timid around larger more aggressive tank mates. A Catfish would snack on them.

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+1562&pcatid=1562

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, apparently i was thinking of another gourami type. Hmm, gonna have to see which one it was and remember not to confuse them.

It was a PEARL Gourami that i was thinking of, not a Sparkling.

Sorry if i confused anyone. Gotta remember to not mix those up!

:p

oh yea, definitely want those, i was ready to buy them at auction but someone pulled them at the last minute from the auction

Back
Top Bottom