Setting up 150gal help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PAwrangler08

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone,

Newbie to the forum here. And fairly new to the hobby. I have had a 40 gallon for quite a few years but hasn't been set up in about 2 years. Just looking for some help with setting up my first large tank (150gal).

I'm assuming its 150 (according to my calculations) its 72"L by 27"H by 18"W. currently for filters I have Tetra Whisper EX45 and marineland Emperor 400B, and will be getting the API Filstar XP XL. I'm assuming this will be enough filtration and turnover rate. All together will be flowing about 1090gph. Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

I have 2 large heaters which I don't know what wattage they are off the top of my head but I believe it is sufficient enough. Amd was going to keep the tank around 80-82 degrees Fahrenheit.

Now for the nitrogen cycle. I honestly have never done this before when start a new tank. My home tap water is filtered 3 or 4 times and levels are great. I always took my water to the LFS to be tested and they said I was ready to add fish right away. I have no ammonia and pH is around 7.0. I haven't checked my nitrites or nitrates yet though. Now should I still do the nitrogen cycle? And if so how exactly is it done? Start everything up and add fish food every 12 hrs or so correct? And just keep monitoring levels? I was also going to use a used media filter from an already established tank.

For substrate I was going to do like small river rock and sand if its possible. Since I really wanted a fire eel I was going to leave one side completely sand so he can still burrow in it with getting injured. Any help on this is appreciated.

And for my last question, which is more for stocking. I would love to have a fire eel, red devil, rainbow loach, discus, and red empress. But I'm not sure if they will all coexist in the same tank. So if someone can help me with that it would be greatly appreciated.

Like I said this is the first time I have ever bad a large tank, and at 150 gallons I a, very great full for any help provided by all of you. Thank you in advance!!!

-Blair.

This is the tank set up but will be taken down and moved to my house. Currently a friend of mine has it. And I just recently bought it from him. He gave me the tank, marineland 400, aqueon for a 45, a heater, power head, and an air pump all for $250. I'm assuming this is a a great deal as I have looked at everything else and it looks like the tank alone is about $700.

image-2084032705.jpg

Hello everyone,

Newbie to the forum here. And fairly new to the hobby. I have had a 40 gallon for quite a few years but hasn't been set up in about 2 years. Just looking for some help with setting up my first large tank (150gal).

I'm assuming its 150 (according to my calculations) its 72"L by 27"H by 18"W. currently for filters I have Tetra Whisper EX45 and marineland Emperor 400B, and will be getting the API Filstar XP XL. I'm assuming this will be enough filtration and turnover rate. All together will be flowing about 1090gph. Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

I have 2 large heaters which I don't know what wattage they are off the top of my head but I believe it is sufficient enough. Amd was going to keep the tank around 80-82 degrees Fahrenheit.

Now for the nitrogen cycle. I honestly have never done this before when start a new tank. My home tap water is filtered 3 or 4 times and levels are great. I always took my water to the LFS to be tested and they said I was ready to add fish right away. I have no ammonia and pH is around 7.0. I haven't checked my nitrites or nitrates yet though. Now should I still do the nitrogen cycle? And if so how exactly is it done? Start everything up and add fish food every 12 hrs or so correct? And just keep monitoring levels? I was also going to use a used media filter from an already established tank.

For substrate I was going to do like small river rock and sand if its possible. Since I really wanted a fire eel I was going to leave one side completely sand so he can still burrow in it with getting injured. Any help on this is appreciated.

And for my last question, which is more for stocking. I would love to have a fire eel, red devil, rainbow loach, discus, and red empress. But I'm not sure if they will all coexist in the same tank. So if someone can help me with that it would be greatly appreciated.

Like I said this is the first time I have ever bad a large tank, and at 150 gallons I a, very great full for any help provided by all of you. Thank you in advance!!!

-Blair.

This is the tank set up but will be taken down and moved to my house. Currently a friend of mine has it. And I just recently bought it from him. He gave me the tank, marineland 400, aqueon for a 45, a heater, power head, and an air pump all for $250. I'm assuming this is a a great deal as I have looked at everything else and it looks like the tank alone is about $700.

Red devils get there name for a reason. Unless the one you are buying is less than an inch. Thats a no go if you want discus. And idk how aggressive the fire eel is or how friendly so idk what kind of fish you can pair with him.

As for your cycle. What I do it get my tank set up, go to my lfs. Ask for a handful of gravel, set that in my tank, wait a week. And when all of the levels are consistent and ok for three straight days, I put fish in. Ask me anything else if you have a question.

Red devils get there name for a reason. Unless the one you are buying is less than an inch. Thats a no go if you want discus. And idk how aggressive the fire eel is or how friendly so idk what kind of fish you can pair with him.

As for your cycle. What I do it get my tank set up, go to my lfs. Ask for a handful of gravel, set that in my tank, wait a week. And when all of the levels are consistent and ok for three straight days, I put fish in. Ask me anything else if you have a question.

Seeded material is good but just letting it sit won't cycle the tank you need to add an ammonia source otherwise you'll have an uncycled tank when you put fish in and end up creating a fish in cycle

Seeded material is good but just letting it sit won't cycle the tank you need to add an ammonia source otherwise you'll have an uncycled tank when you put fish in and end up creating a fish in cycle

So just feed the fishless tank every 12 or so hours? And test the water how often? Every other day?

So just feed the fishless tank every 12 or so hours? And test the water how often? Every other day?

Here is a link hope helps
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

Basically you dose either pure ammonia ace hardware janitorial strength is good to use you dose to 4ppm of ammonia and wait till it drops to 1ppm and dose back up once you see nitrites rise extremely high may have to do mulitible water changes to bring it readable levels again then keep dosing and testing till you see 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrites 5-20ppm nitrates and if it goes from 4ppm ammonia to nitrates in 24hrs your good to go

also, what test kit do have if you dont already have one, i strongly recommend getting the api liquid freshwater master test kit

Here is a link hope helps
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

Basically you dose either pure ammonia ace hardware janitorial strength is good to use you dose to 4ppm of ammonia and wait till it drops to 1ppm and dose back up once you see nitrites rise extremely high may have to do mulitible water changes to bring it readable levels again then keep dosing and testing till you see 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrites 5-20ppm nitrates and if it goes from 4ppm ammonia to nitrates in 24hrs your good to go

This couldn't have been more helpful!!!! Thanks!!!!!

Does anyone have any input on my water flow/turnover/filtration? Enough, not enough? Add 10 more filters? (Just kidding lol)

Back
Top Bottom