setting up 29g sand vs gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillygirl423

Aquarium Advice Freak
I love the look of sand, but I have been told it hard to clean any I have opinions would be great! Also is it 1 pound of sand for each gallon?

I just did my first cleaning of my sand tank (switched over last weekend), and it was really easy! I used the hose to suck up debris, and then raked the sand with a fork. Took about ten minutes.

My sand is in my 55g. I used a 50lb bag and it made the sand about two inches deep. I love the look, the fish seem to like it, and it is very easy to clean.

The guy at the lfs said he always sucks up a ton of sand, is this normal or is he doing it wrong?

He's either doing it wrong, or using really fine sand. If you get something like pool filter sand, you can just vacuum it like gravel and don't have to worry about sucking any up. I've used fine sand before and hated it... almost all sand geared towards aquariums is really fine. With the exception of a few types of course. But... why pay $10 for 20lbs of 'aquarium sand' when you can pay $2-10 for a 50lb bag of pool filter sand?

Hmmmm...so could I but it in a bucket and rinse it with my hose outside. Would I stir it up and let the bucket overflow with water and all the debris?

Yep, pretty much just like that. When I rinse mine (most of the time I just put it in the tank and rinse it... easier to do, but only on a new setup), I just put the hose in the bottom of the bucket, let it run, reach in and stir it up a few times. IME, PFS cleans really easy... it's always pre-washed since the intended purpose is to filter stuff out of pools.

Lots of places have it. Pool supply stores are almost a guarantee, since that's required for most pool filters. Leslies is where I usually get mine. there's a regional chain called Meijer that has it for $1.99 a bag... when they have it. Some people have found it at Home Depot, though I've never seen any there.

Back
Top Bottom