Setting up 90 gallon with used media help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infamouz88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I'm trying to set up a 90 gallon freshwater tank that I picked up locally. I'm trying to cycle it by using filter media that I have in my 20 gallon tank that has been established for over 3 years. The problem is that I bought plants from a LFS and apparently a few snails hitchhiked. So my 20 gallon tank is pretty much infested with these snails. So I wanted to use the media but without having the snails move to my new tank. Is there a way to not have them in my new tank while using the filter media or should I not risk the possibility and cycle it a different way? Any input will be much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Comb the media/filter for goo, snails or specks. Give it a swish in discard water just in case. Or call your LFS to see if they have any media you could pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

@laeris well I don't need media, I wanted to use the one in the established tank to jump start my new tank. But I'm afraid of snail eggs being in my established tank media.

I think laeris is suggesting some of the lfs' established snail free media as an alternative to your snaily media. I would swish it well and still use it if you have access to assassin snails which should kill off the other snails. What kind are the snails?

@TMRC Exotics, I get what you mean now lol, I wasn't aware lfs had established media to sell. As for the snails I have some trumpet snails that multiplied like crazy. I've tried to get rid of them in my 20 gallon but when I see less then they come back with a vengeance...

It could be not all do, the one up the road from me keeps stuff at the bottom of his freshwater sumps to sell for this purpose. Ask around, you may be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

@laeris, I'll try to call some places to see if I get lucky. Thank you for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom