Setting up a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdcichlids

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up a densely planted Tank for my cousin (he's 31 and this is his Christmas present). While I am a good fish keeper and I think he will be too, I am struggling to find a fish that would school and be easy for him to take care of.
Size:10 gallon
•Densely Planted
•Hopefully 30% water changes a week
•Has to be a schooling fish
Our water is usually pH 7.8ish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You better get started on cycling Christmas dears near ;)

Neon tetras and African dwarf frogs?

5 neons
3-4 dwarf frogs

That sounds nice. Or Kuhli loaches instead of the ADF.

Neons are hardy fish if you can find healthy stock outside a chain store.

Caleb

Ember tetras are a nice, small schooling fish that have a nice amount of color. They're hard to find though.

Espei rasboras would be the easiest imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tough thing is that I still have to move it to his apartment, which 20 mins away. Probably do that some time this week. I went to the LFS, saw ember tetras, Cardinal tetras, Neon Tetras, Kuhli Loaches, some other loaches and tetras I can't remember.
Since I have to move it I'm not focusing on cycling right now, just finding suitable stock. When I was at the LFS I asked a guy ( they're pretty knowledgable usually) if he thought cardinals would be a good fit and he said they "need perfect water" which is not what I've heard. Any Ideas? Thanks everyone.

Also I have a rounded gravel substrate which I thought would be bad for Cory cats and loaches so...
My lighting is also pretty bright, a Finnex Stingray.

I've found that khulis don't mind gravel and have no issues with it.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've found that khulis don't mind gravel and have no issues with it.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And you think they would be a good fit? Also if I don't pick some of the suggestions it's not up to me, I'm letting him pick the stock ( with some suggestions of course)

I've been keeping kuhlis for 10+ years on gravel with no issues, my favorite fish. Would have no problems with whatever schooling fish you choose. They tend to be a bit shy when first added to a tank but after they've settled in they're very entertaining to watch.

I've been keeping kuhlis for 10+ years on gravel with no issues, my favorite fish. Would have no problems with whatever schooling fish you choose. They tend to be a bit shy when first added to a tank but after they've settled in they're very entertaining to watch.

Thank you for the insight! I've heard they can be a bit shy when kept in bright light which is why I listed my light.

Back
Top Bottom