setting up a 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earthworms

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

This is my first post to this site. I have a 29 gallon tank that was given to me and for a while now I have been wanting to put it together. I have been researching as much as I could with the time that I have. I have noticed that the under gravel filter idea isn't very popular so I have decided to not go with one. This leaves me with some questions. Shall I go with a Penquin power filter or an Aquaclear power filter? Also, what site shall I get for a 29. Or, should I have two filters? I tend to over feed my fish. I plan on going with a Jager 250 watt heater. I want to have some live plants in this tank so what hood is recommended? I have bought the gravel so thats taken care of. I have not decided on what fish will be int his tank. I do know I will transfer my 2 dwarf gouramis, pleco, cory cat, and 3 red eyed tetras into this tank once it is ready. One more question. What kind of test kit should I get for this my 10 gallon and this tank?

Any suggestions for this tank is welcomed. I am learning as I go.

Thanks for your help![/code]

smilies-35568.png

(you will need to learn to not overfeed its realy bad for the water quality)
to size a heater tank the gallons and mulitply by 5 (this is more power then you need).. a 29 gallon needs about 150 watt heater or a combintation of heaters that adds up to 150 watts

as far as filters go.. If your going to do dense planting only 5 cycles per hour will be nessisary so 150 gallons per hour for a fish-only tank(aside from fish that dont like alot of water movement) 8 cycles is more then enough 240 gallons per hour.. multiple filters that add up to these numbers is fine..

Testkits.. Im going to list off some testkits that are on top of my list and you can look for them endividually or in a mastertestkit if you like..
ammonia (NH3), nitrite (NO2), nitrate (NO3) , (you might need more then one PH kit like high and low depending), KH, phosphate (PO4)
mastertestkits that are highly recomended aquarium pharmsuticals known as AP (these can be difficult to read), red-sea has a mastertestkit that is suppose to be the best on the market, and Hagen makes a very complete kit that is easier to read then the AP kit..

Shall I go with a Penquin power filter or an Aquaclear power filter?

I'm a fan of the AquaClear filters. They have got huge boxes for filter media. You should shoot for around 7 times turnover in your tank, so something with atleast 203 gph. Everything else that you mentioned looks pretty good. About overfeeding, of you do overfeed (and you admit it, woo hoo! :wink: ) just make sure you keep up on the water changes, and get all the gunk out of the gravel. More food = more fishy waste. If it accumulates for too long, it can cause you troubles.

Good luck. :D

Thank you for your help. I will go with the aquaclear filter. How about a hood? What should I get for an aquarium that has a few live plants in it? I want to be able to see my fish clearly yet keep my plants alive.

Thanks again!!

Jake

I wouldnt recomend just a few live plants.. thats just me though.. its hard to have enough nutrients for the plants and not encorage algae if there are only a few plants..Ive tried to do just a few plants and it was really difficult not to have at least diatom algae.
overfeeding can also make for more cleaning of your filters as well..

just for admitting that you overfeed i will give you some kudos...but on one condition

you STOP overfeeding your fish, it produces bad water quality and may make your fish happy for about 5 mins, but it may make them sick in the long run...and one last thing

Welcome to AA :smilecolros:

Done deal...I stopped over feeding my fish a while ago. I just like fat fish I guess, but it was destroying my 10 gallon tank. They are much happier now and once I get my test kit I can monitor them. Thanks for the kudos...guess I will have to read up on what they are. I still don't have a clue on the hood. I have all the rest ready to be ordered but still researching on the hood. Thanks for all your help!

Jake

i have a 29gal planted tank with a 30in 65w power compact light, its a little more money but it makes a big difference in my plants growth. I have dwarf sag, crypts, java fern, dwarf lillys...I also have a twin tube glass hood from all-glass. Check out www.drsfosterandsmith.com for really good prices on supplies, better than any local store ive ever been to.

i dont think you need a 250 watt i have a 100w on mine and its just fine, mabe a little moneysaver :)

Back
Top Bottom