Setting up a 29 gallon - using filter from an established 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roomtobelieve

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I currently have a ten gallon that's been up and running for quite a while. It's getting crowded though (two guppies, a swordtail, a cory and 5 tetras) so I'm moving them into a 29 gallon that was just given to me.

I have the 29 freshly set up with pfs (washed thoroughly) and treated water. The filters are running which I expect will clear the slight fogginess there is now. My real question is this: I read that you can put a filter from an established tank into a new one and create an 'instant cycle' since all of the bacteria needed are present in the old filter.

I've already put some flakes in the new tank to start breaking down. Could I use the filter from the ten gallon to 'borrow' bacteria for a while, and cut down my water cycle time? If so, how long would I need to leave it? It's obviously a smaller filter. I'll be moving over some of the decor and putting in live plants as well.

I'd like to move them in within a few weeks if at all possible. I also don't want to frankenstein the process and hurt my fish in the long run.

Any advice on how to get them in there as soon as possible?
Oh, and I forgot to mention -

Thanks for any help!

If you move over the same amount of fish to the 29, you should be fine with the 10 gallon filter running. i'd also get the filter for the 29 up and running as well. I'd get at least an Aquaclear 50 and run them both. The old filter will give you the bacteria you need while the new filter starts to grow. I'd keep the 10 gallon filter running permanently as you need the extra filter capacity.

Ideally if you want to run only one filter, then get and AC70, and run it with the 10 until the bacteria colony is established. But to my mind it is best to run two filters so you have redundancy if one fails.

I forgot to mention that I also seeded the 29 with about 3 cups of gravel from the 10, along with a few artificial plants and 30 or so medium sized rocks.

So you're saying if I run the 10 gallon's filter along WITH the 29 gallon's filter (it's an aqua tech 20-40 gallon.... just came with the tank) then I can go ahead and put the fish in now? Or did you mean to still wait a bit? Sorry, I'm just new at this and trying to be really clear so I don't mess up :)

I forgot to mention that I also seeded the 29 with about 3 cups of gravel from the 10, along with a few artificial plants and 30 or so medium sized rocks.

So you're saying if I run the 10 gallon's filter along WITH the 29 gallon's filter (it's an aqua tech 20-40 gallon.... just came with the tank) then I can go ahead and put the fish in now? Or did you mean to still wait a bit? Sorry, I'm just new at this and trying to be really clear so I don't mess up :)

I agree. Put both filters in the 29 and go ahead and add the fish too. No need to wait. The 10 gal filter is already seeded from the tank. You'll build up more bacteria in the new filter, but I agree to keep both filters permanently. Or instead if the one that came with the 29 , keep it for backup and buy an aquaclear 70 filter. They are one of the best hob filters available. If you do that, keep the 10 gallon filter with the aquaclear together in the 29 for a month or so.

You can out the fish in now with the seeded 10 gallon filter running. You need the fish to supply the ammonia for the bacteria colony to remain viable. Just don't put in more fish than you originall had running with the 10 gallon. Give the filters a chance to build up on the new one.

The Aquatech is ok, but an Aquaclear is a much better filter. I've had both and the AC's just seem to run forever with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom