setting up a 8 ft tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mundy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey im thinking of getting two say 1000L in tank pumps. i see there cheap off ebay but are the $30 as good as the $300 ones?
or would i be better off just getting a pond pump from bunning and would just the pump be all? or would i needa buy some joiners and other filters and things?

the old tank was3 ft with 1 oscar:) it has nearly a 1ft heater and i have another heater the same size but i believe is much better would these heat my 8x2x3. if not what would be a good heater for a good price ha:)

do people set them up in there lounge? i just had a scare itll go threw me floor, im not in a old house but not a new one lol. its wood to not concrete slab shall i be all good?

im gonna get my furniture maker friend to make me a stand is there anything i should tell him besides make it strong and evan the weight like dont make skinny legs lol.

im thinking my 2yr old oscar and 3 or 4 new ones hopefully get a pair:)

when im buying oscar there is 2 fish shops in town should i go buy 2 from each or keep them all from the same tank possibly bread in the same tank as eachother

thanks for anyone that post any help at all would be apreciated very new to having aquariums

Your aquarium shouldn't go through the floor if you put it on an exterior wall. The stand just tell your furniture maker to make the stand, and express the weight that the stand is going to be holding. Get a good filter and you'll be fine.

Unless you are on a slab I would think that reinforcing the floor in some way will be necessary. That's an extremely large tank.

cheers mate ya reckon 2 heaters ive used for me 3ft would be alright or nah? ive used them at seperate times.

and would you go buy a pond filter or just get 2 filters what would be easier for les cleaning and changing water

There's of questions here,

First are you using a sump, that's why the pumps are needed? If so what type of overflow are you using, this will determine how large of a pump is needed. Otherwise I'd use at least two Fluval FX5's.

For heating a 265g tank you'll need around 3-5w per gallon, I recommend three Eheim Jäger 250-300w heaters.

As far as placement of the aquarium I would not place it anywhere but on a concrete slab, I'm sure others will disagree but that's alot of weight without reinforcing the floor.

Breeding oscars is very tricky trying to obtain of pair, but purchase 6-7 from a few different shops
then just wait through the aggression. Oscars don't reach sexuall maturity until around 18 months,
so waiting for a pair can take years. The trick will be your two year old, he's at least 10-12" inches
by now and introducing new fish is always tricky, especially if he's been alone.

Last edited:
reeealy? so i better get under there and make sure its srtong or find somewhere else for it cuz im renting:(

yeah hes met a few and hasent killed them untill they get big and start him. but ya never know lol. hmm well i will look under the house tomorrow but i think ima take the risk. how sturdy am i lookin for? lol.
nah im payin 300 for the tank but just the tank no extra little tank filter thats the sump i think. so i gonna needa set up some good filters in the tank will this be worthy?
thanks for everyones help:)
has anyone herd of a fishtank going threw the floor? i may google it lol.
and i think i may travel and go to a few shops and get a few dif oscars
is it worth buy the stuff off ebay or are the cheap ones just gonna **** em selfs?

Back
Top Bottom