Setting up a dwarf puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy monkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've a 60 litre tank that I was going to use as a QT for my 165litre stock, but after I discovered dwarf puffers I've decided to use it for a species only tank.

It's currently mid fishless cycle using ammonia, I'm going to use a sand substrate which I'll be adding as soon as my LFS gets some in, and once the tanks cycled I'll be putting java fern in and some driftwood if I can ever get the piece I've got to sink!
Now the questions (I have looked online but there's nothing like getting direct answers from people in the know for specific questions!)-

I have no experience with live plants and was told the java fern was the easiest, just put it in and leave it, is this accurate?

Is there anything I need to be aware of regarding water parameters with live plants?

How many plants do I need, can I mix plastic with them or would it be best to just have live?

I'll be putting the plants in once it's cycled, but how long do I wait after that before adding the puffers, and how do I keep the tank going while I wait (I may have to special order the fish so there could be a few weeks gap) or will it be ok without me having to add an ammonia source?

I've never had a sand substrate, are there any special requirements for this and will it be ok with a gravel vac (some sites say hover the vac without touching the sand, others say vac it the same way as gravel)?

I don't know if there's anything I've overlooked, I'm really excited about getting dwarf puffers, they're so cute!! Thanks for any and all input here :)

Forgot to mention, I know they need lots if filtration, I'm running an Interpet PF2 filter which is for upto 90 litres. I'm also considering having a couple of ramshorn snails in a breeder box (my flats very cold, so easier to use a breeder box than a margarine tub!)

I am struggling to find an air pump that only runs at 1 litre per minute which is what most breeder boxes say they need, can anyone advise on that please?

Yes just put in the java fern and leave it. Plants need micro and macro nutrients as well as some CO2, but Java fern can still survive with little of each. If they start dying on you, then consider liquid CO2 and/or liquid fertilizer, and perhaps potassium if there is not any in your tap water.

You can mix live with plants. DPs don't really care, but you will care what your tank will look like. IME if you put live plants with fake plants, then the fake plants will end up looking more fake.

You can add the plants anytime. If you're waiting for puffers, then keep adding an ammonia source. When the DPs come, then do a 100% water change before adding them to your tank.

There is no special requirement for sand. Keep the sand bed ~1 inch to prevent toxic sand beds. If more than 1 inch, then stir the sand every once in a while.

I never used air pumps and I don't know what is available outside the states, so just do a quick google search to find a good product.

Its recommended to keep the ramshorn snail in their own tank because they produce a very large amount of pollution (great number of them can foul any water).

Yes just put in the java fern and leave it. Plants need micro and macro nutrients as well as some CO2, but Java fern can still survive with little of each. If they start dying on you, then consider liquid CO2 and/or liquid fertilizer, and perhaps potassium if there is not any in your tap water.

You can mix live with plants. DPs don't really care, but you will care what your tank will look like. IME if you put live plants with fake plants, then the fake plants will end up looking more fake.

You can add the plants anytime. If you're waiting for puffers, then keep adding an ammonia source. When the DPs come, then do a 100% water change before adding them to your tank.

There is no special requirement for sand. Keep the sand bed ~1 inch to prevent toxic sand beds. If more than 1 inch, then stir the sand every once in a while.

I never used air pumps and I don't know what is available outside the states, so just do a quick google search to find a good product.

Its recommended to keep the ramshorn snail in their own tank because they produce a very large amount of pollution (great number of them can foul any water).

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Wow, so much to think about with plants, I didn't know there was a test for potassium levels, seems like plants could be about as testing to care for as fish!

My first thought after reading your reply was to scrap plants and just go fake, but I think I'd really like to have a go at getting my green thumb. I don't want to do all the trial and error stuff while caring for dwarf puffers though so think I'll just get 4 platies to live in the tank while I work on the plants, then once I'm satisfied I know what I'm doing with them move the platies to my main tank and add the dps.

One last (possibly stupid) question though- my tanks cycling at 4/5ppm ammonia, once it's done and I've had the platies will the filter still be effective with high levels of waste, or will the dps put it in a mini cycle?

Which type of dp do you want?

:) Puffers are awesome!! sounds like you're more looking at something like a pea puff, right? It does kind of make a difference
(y)

If you plan on having more than one, the tank has to be very heavily planted so the puffers can't see each other. if there are no plants or anything to block their view of each other they will fight.

Once you get your puffers I'd recommend a 50% water change because a 100% water change is unnecessary and could badly affect your BB.

Do remember that dwarf puffers need very clean water. You'll have to do 50% water changes weekly.

If you plan on having more than one, the tank has to be very heavily planted so the puffers can't see each other. if there are no plants or anything to block their view of each other they will fight.

Once you get your puffers I'd recommend a 50% water change because a 100% water change is unnecessary and could badly affect your BB.

Do remember that dwarf puffers need very clean water. You'll have to do 50% water changes weekly.

Thanks for your post, yeah I was thinking 2, only because I don't really like the idea of keeping one all by itself. I'm a softy and would hate to think its lonely!

Once I've got my green thumb sorted I'll be sure to plant the tank properly. I hate when things go wrong in my tanks and fish suffer.
I did do a lot of reading up on them before I decided, was thinking 2 25%w/c weekly so as not to upset the balance too much.

I mentioned earlier I was thinking of breeding snails specially to feed them, but after researching I figure I could end up with too many snails for them to handle in a very short space of time, and as a non-beginner but nowhere near an expert aquarist I think I'd be biting off a lot more than I could chew! Think I'm just gonna stick to getting a supply of live food weekly from my LFS.

The only experience I have with live food though is daphnias, I pour them into the net to get rid of the water then release the daphnia into the tank, not sure if that's how it should be done but worked so far. Is there a different way that live food should be handled, such as the bloodworm and brine shrimp that dps like?

Test daily until and do water changes as needed until water is stable to fix any mini cycle issues. Please dont hesitate to ask further questions.

You can just get one. Dwarf puffers don't get lonely. You can also keep oto catfish with it. Otos are perhaps the only fish dps don't kill.

Back
Top Bottom