Setting up a Green Spotted Puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcgdz86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi friends!

I'm looking at second up my second tank and I am seriously considering setting up a Green Spotted Puffer tank. I've done some research.. And have also asked questions and advice at my LFS. I feel like I'm getting mixed info and am hoping for some clarification

My first question is tank size. The guy at my LFS said a 10 gallon tank is fine for a solo GSP. My research has said 30g is the minimum. I was hoping for somewhere in the middle... Around 20g for a solo GSP.

My next question is about filtration. I've read GSP are messy eaters and require more filtration. I've also read that brackish fish like slower water currents. How much GPH should I aim for when setting up. Can I use a bigger filter to compensate for a smaller tank? Such as a 20g.. I was considering putting like an Aquaclear HOB with 300GPH or something.

I really wanted to do live plants as well.... My LFS told me live plants can't survive well in a brackish tank. I plan on posting a separate thread about this as well but figured I could ask here incase a GSP expert had any plant advice.

Tankmates: if I end up having to do a bigger tank setup..... Are there any recommended tankmates? Some sources have said bumblebee goby.., some have disagreed. I would be happy with just a solo GSP but am asking just in case

I think this will be enough info to get me started.... I still have some more research to do on brackish tanks but these are the general questions I had before I move forward any more. Thanks!

I agree with Brennea's info. These are neat little fish as long as you have the time and space to maintain them correctly. If there is any doubt in your mind about caring for them or resources for snails then pass and get a new plan.

Snails, I use 2-3, 5 gal buckets almost filled with aquarium water form water changes. I toss in a few 3" sections of PVC pipe or anything with a smooth surface to clutter up the bottom. 6-8 pond or preferably ramshorn snails per bucket gets you going. For feed I blanch some regular green peas and toss in 2 halves of a pea once weekly. Once more snails appear, about 6 weeks you can up the frequency of feeding to twice weekly. This should give you an endless supply of snails. You can also add some least killies say a trio to each bucket as they don't eat their fry, produce slowly but consistently and are great puffer food as well. Keep in mind, the buckets even with least killies need no heat, room temp is fine. Feed the least killies a micro pinch of fish food 2 x weekly.--GOOD LUCK

Back
Top Bottom