setting up a new (used) 29gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I recently found a 29gal aquarium at a rummage sale, and saw it as a perfect opportunity to upgrade from my little 10gal.

The tank itself is in good condition with the exception of a chip on one of the corners. The size of the chip is about equal to the diameter of a penny. The shard is still in place so I'm unsure of how deep it is, but I don't think it extends to the inside seal. Do you thing that this might be a problem?

The other question I have is about filtration. The tank did not come with a filter, but I currently have an old Whisper 2 HOB power filter. I'm not sure what it compares to for newer models, but the box says that its capable of filtering up to 150gal/hr. I plan on using this for mechanical filtration, but any suggestions on what I could add to increase bio filtration?
I would like to eventually having a medium fish load of platies, swordtails, etc.

I should also add that I am a student on a very limited budget, so expensive fancy equipment is out of the question. I love DIY projects though!

Thanks!

I know how it is to keep fish on a budget, and I would personally recommend that you ditch the Whisper for an Aquaclear 70 or Penguin 150. I have had good experiences with ACs and Penguins, and you can get them really cheap online. Try www.bigalsonline.com or www.petsolutions.com . You might like the Aquaclear more because you hardly ever have to change the foam block, unlike the Whispers which have cartridges (I've had some of my ACs for over 2 years without ever changing the foam inserts), so it will save you money in the long run. You can just rinse the foam once a month or so in old tankwater (never tapwater) while you do your water changes. :D HTH

I, on the other hand, love all my whisper filtration systems. I just bought a Whisper 60 for my 80 gallon tank (in addition to the penquin 330 I have on it). I usually replace all the cartridges with sponges and save the cartridge for later, if for some reason I need to remove meds.

The whisper is very quiet and IMO, does a great job keeping all my tanks crystal clear.

Big Als is having some great deals right now.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22187&category_id=1721&pcid1=2885

As for the chip, I would definitely try to fix it with some sealant.

my whisper 60 still works after 10+ years, and its still quiet.. I wouldnt ditch one.. I have a aquaclear 500 as well thats equally as old.. In my oppinion If you know how to maintain filters they will perform well for a very long time..

In my oppinion If you know how to maintain filters they will perform well for a very long time..

My thoughts exactly. If you are doing your weekly water changes, rinsing often and checking you systems at least twice a month, it should last for a long time.

Thank you for the advice.
I filled the tank today and so far, so good. The filter is running well. I've used this filter before and have always been happy with it, so I don't plan on replacing it. I'm just worried that its not going to be enough. Shouldn't I have some other sort of biological filtration so that if I replace the filter cartridge I don't lose all the good bacteria?

well by you just saying that alone i'm guessing you are using a Whisper filter? what size was the filter used for...if it was for up to 20...i wont too well unless you have an understocked tank, but i will still advertise the AquaClear for up to 30 gallons (not sure exactly what the model is) and the Penguin 150-175 :D

for biological filtration they both are great but if you want to stay with the Whisper filter after awhile the gravel, decor, plants and inside glass should hold enough to keep it stable 8)

IMO I have always used 5 cycles per hour with my filters.. most of the members of the forum are using more flow then that.. you have 150gph wich is 5 cycles on your 29 gallon tank.. I never stocked a tank to the 1 inch per gallon rule though.. I still think its overstocking a tank even with the stronger filtration. FWIW I think the filter is fine.

The filter is a Whisper filter. Its made for 10-55gal tanks. The reason I ask about the bio filtration is because I have been using a HOB power filter (of a smaller size) in my 10gal. The tank had been established for a while and I replaced the filter cartridge thinking I would be okay with the amount of bacteria in the gravel. Turns out it wasn't enough and I lost a couple of fish. :x
Needless to say, I don't want to make that mistake again!

greenmagi said:
You could always put some bio-rings in a bag after the cartrage in the filter.. HTH

Never thought of that! Thanks for the idea :D

Here's another question I hope someone can help me out with.

I got a heater with the tank (actually two of them, but me being the clutz I am accidentally broke the smaller one :roll:) . I have no idea how many watts the heater is since its not labled. The heater is a Penn-Plax Therma FlowPC and is about 14" long. Any ideas?

well, I finished setting up the tank today, and took a pic.
Here's what it looks like at the moment:
img_454850_0_e349a765d8d79df4a89bbe989701d6ed.jpg

The little strip light at the top is actually from a 10 gal and is there just for the purpose of taking the picture, since I still need to get a hood for this one.

I am trying to decide how to go about cycling the tank. I can seed with some of the gravel from my current 10 gal. Should I just dump some of the gravel in there or put some of it in the filter or what?
My main concern is that I am going to be gone during the first 2 weeks of august. Can I start to cycle the tank (without fish) while I'm away, or should I wait until I get back?

Back
Top Bottom