setting up a panaque tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the Ents

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi everyone,

We are thinking of moving our royal panaque to a tank of her own (territoriality/mulm-volume issues).
She's 5-6 inches in body, will come out in the light if she sees the cories eating a shrimp pellet or to attack our other spotted pleco. He's nearly the same size now as her and seems to delight in 'jerking her chain', another reason for the move.
Our water has stayed steady at 6.8 and is quite soft.

So, what ideas have you for planning?

We think a 30G (16H x 36W x 12) will do, but can we get by with the 100W heater and the Penguin 170 we are currently using in the 15G?
We will move her favorite bogwood with her, but she 'produces' a lot of waste and woodshavings. What kind of substrate, if any, should we think about? We've seen a few pix of really bare tanks with pvc and a rock and some wood. We also know that the bio-filter in the gravel is necessary. Bigger size gravel?

Of what does their natural Amazon habitat consist? Fast-moving or quiet pools, planted or bare? i've never seen an Amano panaque tank, but his other tips are great, i wonder if anyone has heard of him doing one.
We plan on doing this in the next 2 wks.

I dont know anything about the fish, but instinct says, lots of waste=nasty bottom, which calls for vacuum. This tells me to get the biggest gravel you can find. That way it will be easy to clean. Amano's stuff is great!

well, we got her in a 30G with a eheim 2217 (POWER), a semi bare bottom, a big chunk of bogwood and rocks, some biggish pebbles in the corner covering the air wand, and the outflo/heater down low on an angle.

the water flo is fast and carries the 'wood shavings' into the filter intake which is also located way low, on the bottom. she loves it, and now spends a fair amt of time exploring the whole tank. we drop a couple of shrimp pellets in nightly, along with weekly fr bloodworms, and lettuce and peas. she makes a big mess of zuchini.

we water-x once a week(30 %) and do a quick poo-grab midweek. the eheim gets cleaned every month, cuz it just gets clogged with her , um, production...

we want to get her some tankmates, a pr of refugee angels are currently 'kipping on her couch', so to speak. they don't enjoy the current, so they be taking up residence in the new 30 G....
here we go again!

good choice of pleco, my favorite, i loved mine.
you want acidic water, bogwood/driftwood is a must, they eat it.
and a lot of water current.
go to www.aquarank.com and search for plecofanatics and they will ansewer ALL of your pleco questions.

yee-ha!
thats the granddaddy of all fish yellow pages!
i've visited and bookmarked a number of sites listed therein.
whatta time saver! never have to surf again!

so tell me about your royal; most people haven't even heard of em.
i love the way they waddle backwards with a biccie in their mouth.
what tankmates did yers have?

mine was 9", a royal panaque, L190 i think , it had a nive big , high back with bright red eyes, its tank mates where and 12" oscar and a 8" green severum, i used peat granular too lower the ph and too give the water the tanned natural look, there a realy nice show piece for an pleco, it liked too eat lettuce, cucumber, algae tablets, and i would but some rocks about 3" in diamiter into some large jars and put them out side for a month and there would be some really nice thick green algae on them that the royal would devower in a short time, it used too hide when it was around 3" but when it got bigger it would come out a lot more, and they take along time too grow.

great idea- grow yer own algae!
(is yers the 'hydro-ponic' variety?)
:p
'Princess Leia's' a olivedrab with non linear med black stripes, red eyes, white strip on tail and all fins edged in yellow. can't really see any whiskers, so i feel ok saying she...
a friend is moving and has to give up his severums, we may try that.

the royal looked good with my severum and the severum never bothered the pleco, the tank looked good, then you see the big oscar comming and messing up the tank and moving every thing around the way he wanted it.

e-cat,
you said you had a royal - why don't you have it now?
sorry if this brings up sad memories...

i had too take down a pritty much all of my tanks for my daughters room
:cry: im starting too build it back up again, and a royal is on my list and im thinking of going with discus with it.

Back
Top Bottom