Setting up a SeaClear 20 gal acrylic aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerene

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Finally got my 20 gallon SeaClear acrylic aquarium and have not set up yet as I have several questions regarding healthy transfer of fish and water, etc~ I currently have a 10 gal glass aquarium that was set up at Christmas when the previous 10 gal glass sprung a leak. Ugh. Since the beginning of the month, however, I have had a terrible green algae problem in my 10 gal tank. I have followed the instructions of a seasoned aquarium owner at a local store and it still persists after partial water changes and treatment. I have been checking the water with the test strips and all seems good. I currently have two dalmatian mollies, 2 tequila sunrise guppies, nine neon tetras, 2 glofish and two yellow mystery snails. For my new 20 gal acrylic tank, i am going with live plants. i purchased some yesterday, I have the Eco Complete plant substrate plus some Arogonite substrate to layer underneath the Eco Complete. So~~ here are my questions: the 20 gal is one piece with openings on the top. what kind of filter should I buy? How about an aerator? Is there one type of bulb better than another? I believe I need a 15" long and the fixture lays on TOP of the aquarium. It boggles my mind that the manufacturer of this aquarium sends no instructions or specs with this aquarium and I cannot find anything online. I am not an expert and really need some guidance on setting up our new tank. Do I transfer some of the old water to the new tank (remember the algae situation..)? Any advice would be so, so appreciated.

Finally got my 20 gallon SeaClear acrylic aquarium and have not set up yet as I have several questions regarding healthy transfer of fish and water, etc~ I currently have a 10 gal glass aquarium that was set up at Christmas when the previous 10 gal glass sprung a leak. Ugh. Since the beginning of the month, however, I have had a terrible green algae problem in my 10 gal tank. I have followed the instructions of a seasoned aquarium owner at a local store and it still persists after partial water changes and treatment. I have been checking the water with the test strips and all seems good. I currently have two dalmatian mollies, 2 tequila sunrise guppies, nine neon tetras, 2 glofish and two yellow mystery snails. For my new 20 gal acrylic tank, i am going with live plants. i purchased some yesterday, I have the Eco Complete plant substrate plus some Arogonite substrate to layer underneath the Eco Complete. So~~ here are my questions: the 20 gal is one piece with openings on the top. what kind of filter should I buy? How about an aerator? Is there one type of bulb better than another? I believe I need a 15" long and the fixture lays on TOP of the aquarium. It boggles my mind that the manufacturer of this aquarium sends no instructions or specs with this aquarium and I cannot find anything online. I am not an expert and really need some guidance on setting up our new tank. Do I transfer some of the old water to the new tank (remember the algae situation..)? Any advice would be so, so appreciated.

You can transfer used Filter media, that's best. Water doesn't have much BB.

To control algae ssues in your 10 gallon I would :

Control light, put the light on a timer and reduce the light to six hours daily.

Test the water, and do large water changes at least once a week.

Reduce feeding.

FYI, Mollies are usually recommended for 30g or larger. They hit 3-5" and are active swimmers, pigs for food and big poopers.

Part of your issue with Algae in your 10g is probably being very over stocked.

Acrylic tanks can be tricky depending on how the openings are cut you may have difficulty filtering this tank. You may need to use a Canister filter or Sponge filters if an HOB won't fit.

AqAdvisor may help you check stocking levels.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1101+1058&pcatid=1058

Aragonite ??? Why ??? This is for African tanks and NOT good for planted tanks or for your Tetras. It will raise your pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you. Thank you. I will bring the Aragonite (sp?) back to the store pronto. I want to do the right thing. So much to learn about responsible aquarium ownership. Just to clarify, I *should* transfer some of this old tank water from the 10 gal to the new 20 gal or I should use tap water (and ditch the old water) and let sit running thru the filter before adding fish? My husband and I want to be clear on your good recommendations. Thanks again!

Thank you. Thank you. I will bring the Aragonite (sp?) back to the store pronto. I want to do the right thing. So much to learn about responsible aquarium ownership. Just to clarify, I *should* transfer some of this old tank water from the 10 gal to the new 20 gal or I should use tap water (and ditch the old water) and let sit running thru the filter before adding fish? My husband and I want to be clear on your good recommendations. Thanks again!

Old tank water is useless. The filter floss/media in old filter is Golden ! Don't let it dry out or let it touch untreated tap water. If you need to rinse it, rinse it in either old tank water or rinse it in dechlorinated tap water only.

Once you use Prime you can use the old filter or the old floss in the new filter.

Homework:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

Search Cycling or read threads in the Freshwater getting started section.

Old tank water is useless. The filter floss/media in old filter is Golden ! Don't let it dry out or let it touch untreated tap water. If you need to rinse it, rinse it in either old tank water or rinse it in dechlorinated tap water only.

Once you use Prime you can use the old filter or the old floss in the new filter.

Homework:

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

Search Cycling or read threads in the Freshwater getting started section.

You are a peach! Thank you again for your good information. We will do our homework assignment as suggested. Go Seattle!

Back
Top Bottom