Setting up a used 60 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkfall77ee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI Folks

So I recently got a nice used 60 Gallon tank. I am looking to set it up with 8 glofish tetras and 8 glofish danios for schooling fish. In my current tank I have 6 Fruit tetras 2 albino catfish and 1 spotted pleco. I am wanting to know if I should and can relocate the fruit tetras into the new tank? what is the max amount of fish I can put in this tank? should I put a "centerpiece" fish in this tank and if so what would be a good fish for that with this group of fish? The tank didn't come with any hood or accessories so I was thinking of using so poly carbonate sheeting to make covers for the top opening and use some poly hinges to make them easy access. I was going to build a wooden hood to sit on top and house the lights and hide some of the components to the tank. So what lights would you all recommend? how big and such I know I want a nice blue light for the Glofish. I know its bigger then what I need but planning on running the Sun sun hw-304 b 5 stage external canister filter with the 9 watt uv sterilizer. is that too much or would it be fine? I am planning to eventually go to a larger tank but keep this general community of fish so also looking for pros and cons the tank is 4' long so I was going to run 2 heaters 1 on each side of the tank to help keep the temperature balanced. is this a good idea and what size should I use for a setup like this?any suggestions on air pump/air stone set ups and or any additional equipment I am missing? and would love to hear some pros and cons and any positive helpful advice

I have a 60. I used to run two canisters, a sun sun, and an eheim 2217. I still use the eheim and an in line heater.

Your selection of fish won’t mind current.

I stared with a T5ho aquatic life fixture. It was too much with out co2. I moved to a plus pro. It was not enough due to depth. Lighting really depends on what your goals are

I was going to use led lighting just not sure how much light would be too much and want something that give a good blue light for the glofish

I’m not an expert on led. Most of the currents are very programable

Might consider stocking 15 - 20 small tetras / a colony of Bolivian Rams or German Blue Rams. Clean up crew: 1 - Bristlenose Pleco; a few Cory Cats or group of non agressive Loaches.

Back
Top Bottom