setting up an office aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrwHem

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got a 5 gallon tank from Marineland and am going to set it up in my office. The best place for it to fit is within 6 inches of a window so I already know there will probably be algae issues.
I have a 30 gallon freshwater aquarium at home that has been home to the same two fish for about 3 years as well as a 150 gallon outdoor pond with 5 two year old goldfish so im not a complete novice when it comes to setting up bio-filters and using plants to help out.
Ideally I would like to have 2 fish and either a snail or shrimp in the new aquarium but am not familiar with small aquarium setup. I also want to have at least one live plant.
(outside of betas) what would be the most compatible combination of fish and snails/shrimp and a live plant for an aquarium of this size?

I recently got a 5 gallon tank from Marineland and am going to set it up in my office. The best place for it to fit is within 6 inches of a window so I already know there will probably be algae issues.
I have a 30 gallon freshwater aquarium at home that has been home to the same two fish for about 3 years as well as a 150 gallon outdoor pond with 5 two year old goldfish so im not a complete novice when it comes to setting up bio-filters and using plants to help out.
Ideally I would like to have 2 fish and either a snail or shrimp in the new aquarium but am not familiar with small aquarium setup. I also want to have at least one live plant.
(outside of betas) what would be the most compatible combination of fish and snails/shrimp and a live plant for an aquarium of this size?

If you're worried about algae from sunlight, and the tanks back is facing the window you could paint the background black, or something of the like to limit the light getting into the tank.

As for plants, small species of anubias, small crypts (crypt parva, crypt lutea "hobbit", dwarf sagittaria, pygmy chain sword and some rotala species are pretty easy going and don't require crazy lights.

As for fish, dwarf rasboras may work, or you could have a large colony of shrimp. Any snail would work, nerite, mystery etc. just don't get an assasin snail. Check out the color variations of neocaridina shrimp and amano shrimp. A single oto cat, given enough algae and biofilm would work too. Some people keep a couple tiny tetra in 5 gallons, or a couple male only endler livebearers.

I am torn between the danio glofish and the bloodfin tetra. My tank probably isnt big enough for both and I was thinking 3 to 4 of either one.
Im also going to get 2 java ferns because a lot of sites say they are basically idiot proof.
https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-ML90609-Portrait-Aquarium-5-Gallon/dp/B00O8SZTKQ
that is the aquarium I have. does anyone have any unique design ideas for decorations? my aquarium decoration skills usually end up being the basic driftwood centerpieces with a plant on either side. pretty boring.

I am torn between the danio glofish and the bloodfin tetra. My tank probably isnt big enough for both and I was thinking 3 to 4 of either one.
Im also going to get 2 java ferns because a lot of sites say they are basically idiot proof.
https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-ML90609-Portrait-Aquarium-5-Gallon/dp/B00O8SZTKQ
that is the aquarium I have. does anyone have any unique design ideas for decorations? my aquarium decoration skills usually end up being the basic driftwood centerpieces with a plant on either side. pretty boring.

Ahh, the only issue with a tank like that is the dimensions. Tetra are very active swimmers and need more length in a tank than height. A standard 5.5 gallon is 16" long which is (in some peoples opinion) borderline too small for most fish. The tank you posted is less than 10" long, which limits your fish selection even more.

I would not feel comfortable housing tetra in a tank that small. Danios are the same.

A colony of shrimp would be best suited IMO, but its really up to you.

Now for plants, because its a small tank, a decent substrate would be cheap as well as any decent light. What I would recommend is look online for a couple small rock and/or driftwood aquascapes you like.

Behind the rocks/driftwood use some rotala rotundifolia (also idiot proof). It will grow up the back of the tank, and the tips will turn a bright pink color as it gets closer to the light.

You could fill some space beside the rocks/driftwood with some sagittaria subulata (idiot proof) and some small crypts and then wedge anubias and java ferns (tons of varieties of each so pick your favorite) in between rocks. Cover some cracks in wood/rock with java/flame/willow moss by tying it with some thread/fishing line.

I like the look of rotala rotundifolia but cannot find an in-store location to buy any and i have a few bad experiences trying to buy live plants online. they have ALL arrived somewhat alive but never survived long.
I do like the look of anacharis because i need something tall and thin and they sell it at my nearby petsmart. I currently only have 1 anubias congensis but i also plan on getting java fern.
Will my tank be big enough for these three plants and will they exist well with bloodfin tetra and mystery snails or ramshorn snails? I have not yet decided if i will go with the mystery or ramshorn. any thoughts?

I like the look of rotala rotundifolia but cannot find an in-store location to buy any and i have a few bad experiences trying to buy live plants online. they have ALL arrived somewhat alive but never survived long.
I do like the look of anacharis because i need something tall and thin and they sell it at my nearby petsmart. I currently only have 1 anubias congensis but i also plan on getting java fern.
Will my tank be big enough for these three plants and will they exist well with bloodfin tetra and mystery snails or ramshorn snails? I have not yet decided if i will go with the mystery or ramshorn. any thoughts?

I think they will be fine. I the plants begin to grow too big, do a big trim and replant as needed, sell or give away excess plants afterwords. Check tissue cultured plants, the most common being tropica's 1,2-grow. those ship extremely well and I will say the will arrive alive with 99.9% certainty.

Maybe a pretty Betta and a Mystery Snail for that small office tank.

Back
Top Bottom