Setting Up and Stocking a 10 gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You would be surprised at the adaptability of aquatic species- there are some that have a more rigid parameter spec, but most tank born/raised are very hearty and adaptable- researching what you're interested in and the habitat it comes from is usually a good way to get inspiration- just pick an odd center piece critter and use its native aquaria and residents... I'm learning that most people on here are quite innocently babbling off specs they memorized from wikipedia, Dr Forsters or some other internet info chart and not thinking about the fact that these creatures have lived through and adapted to so many different changes and they still exist today in different parts of of the world with only slight differences even though water samples taken for each place had completely readings when tested, so go figure.

I was thinking of getting some dwarf gouramies and I would like to know what goes good as a tankmate for them. An other thing that I would possibly like to do ( instead of the gouramies) is tiger barbs or even any other type of small barbs that are fun to look at. Could someone who knows a lot about barbs chime in?

Ps. How big do you need for at least a minimum size for a chiclid *fail* tank?

I was thinking of getting some dwarf gouramies and I would like to know what goes good as a tankmate for them. An other thing that I would possibly like to do ( instead of the gouramies) is tiger barbs or even any other type of small barbs that are fun to look at. Could someone who knows a lot about barbs chime in?

depends what you mean by cichlid. you can have a small cichlid as a centerpiece fish in a 20 gallon. but to have a tank with many cichlids (4+) you need a 50 gallon at least i think. but someone else should chime in on this

Dwarf Gouramis are usually males. Gouramis are territorial with other Gouramis.
One to a tank is usually best unless you have a big tank with lots of plants.

Tiger Barbs and all Barbs do best in groups. At least 6 but more is much better.

Most regular Barbs need at least a 20g. They are active fish and many are nippy. A larger group helps diffuse aggression.

Cherry Barbs are very nice. Just make sure to get Females and not just the red males.

Not sure what you mean by a Cichlid "fail" tank ???

If you have a 10g look at small fish like Celestial Pearl Danios ( like tiny trout) or other Nano fish are a possibility.

I thought that I spelled Cichlid wrong and thanks for the info I think I'll go with the tiger barbs.

I had some barbs before in the ten gal but a disease hit the tank. ( due to a horrible filter) so they all died. :( . I had (to be exact) 5 tiger barbs ( who were very peaceful and never nipped) and a little albino coridra I think... Not to sure bout that last one but it was a small little sucker guy.

Oh yea, by the way can someone please chime in on the Cichlid issue. Could anyone who knows lots about Cichlids just give me any general information on them so I might know what I'm getting into if I decide to.

Oh yea, by the way can someone please chime in on the Cichlid issue. Could anyone who knows lots about Cichlids just give me any general information on them so I might know what I'm getting into if I decide to.

What size tank? Cichlids are a huge variety of species from Dwarf Cichlids to Angelfish to monster aggressive fish.

Your question is too vague.

I wouldn't put any Cichlids in anything smaller than a 20g and most need larger tanks.

10g is to small for Cichlids. If you're interested in breeding fish there's Least Killifish, they're live bearers. Unlike a guppy or platy they'll drop 1 or 2 fry every day instead of all at once.

What size tank? Cichlids are a huge variety of species from Dwarf Cichlids to Angelfish to monster aggressive fish.

Your question is too vague.

I wouldn't put any Cichlids in anything smaller than a 20g and most need larger tanks.

I didn't know if you were asking about other size tanks or JUST your current 10g.

Shell Dwellers are smallest Cichlids, but not a big demand since they are SUPER SHY and not that brightly colored. Also not one you find in most stores. Not rare, just not popular.

I've never kept them, but I've worked at LFSs and a Petsmart before, selling fish. I've had aquariums for many years.

That is the ONLY Cichlid that might, might I say, work in a 10g
The problem is, if they breed, where will the babies go and what will you do with them. No huge demand for Shell Dwellers that I can see.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/shelldwellers.php

Ok thanks, but I wasn't seriously considering it in my ten gal if I did that I would for sure get a bigger tank.

But aside from that I would like more information on killfish and what they're all about. If anyone knows about them please say something.

Ok now I basically know what I'm going to do with my ten gallon tank. I think that I'm going to have 4-5 celestial pearl danios (for small schoolers) A Single Beta (centerpiece fish) and some cleaners (I was hoping that you guys could help me out on that.

Thanks for any and all info :)

Ok now I basically know what I'm going to do with my ten gallon tank. I think that I'm going to have 4-5 celestial pearl danios (for small schoolers) A Single Beta (centerpiece fish) and some cleaners (I was hoping that you guys could help me out on that.

Thanks for any and all info :)

Sounds like a good stock! You could do nerite snails and a few shrimp for a cleanup crew. Just make sure the shrimp are bigger than the bettas mouth, or they may become a snack.

Ok, that sounds good could I get a small Coridra or would that just over stock the tank?

I'd suggest ghost shrimp! The betta probably won't notice them as easily. Nerite snails are awesome. Make sure you have lots of hiding places for the CPD's. :)

Ok, that sounds good could I get a small Coridra or would that just over stock the tank?

Most people say they shouldn't be in a 10 gal, but I've kept them in one before with no problems. You wouldn't be able to do a school of them, that would overstock your tank. Cory's are recommended to be in a school, so I don't think you should. Just my opinion :)

You will be overstocked with the Betta in there and the shrimp will just be a snack for the betta, you'd probably never see the CPDs either because they're pretty skiddesh. There's also Rabbit Snails which are cool looking if you're looking for different snails.

You will be overstocked with the Betta in there and the shrimp will just be a snack for the betta, you'd probably never see the CPDs either because they're pretty skiddesh. There's also Rabbit Snails which are cool looking if you're looking for different snails.

I have to agree, CPDs will not appreciate living with a Betta. I have mine with Threadfin Rainbows and that works well. My CPDs come out at feeding time otherwise I usually just see a few at a time. Lovely fish. Mine also live with Scarlet Badis, a pair.

If you skip the Betta you can do Cherry Shrimp.
I love mine.

I have Cory habrosus in my 10g. They only reach about an inch.

Nano fish will fear a predator like a Betta. They are skittish, but not as much with safer fish.

Back
Top Bottom