Setting Up and Stocking a 10 gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PizzaBoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
My ten gallon tank has recently been a disease that struck my tank and wiped it out :(. But, on the lighter side now I can redesign and restock my tank. So I have already put in the substrate and have an aquatic plant growing in a smaller tank for the time being. I am going to furnish the tank with some driftwood and live rock. I will end up putting the plant I have now and many other plants like it in the tank. But the only Problems I have run into are #1 how do I make the live rock and driftwood tank safe. And #2 What kind of fish like a well planted live rock tank???

Please put down a list below.

Do you mean lava rock or live rock? Live rock is generally for saltwater, not freshwater, so just wanted to clarify which you might mean. Most fish like hiding places, so rocks and wood would be appreciated by most fish. For a 10 gal you're pretty limited in terms of fish though. Some ideas are:

--a single betta (or two if you put a divider between them; the rock may be a bit abrasive though as bettas fins can get torn easily so anything sharp or jagged should be avoided) OR
--2-3 platy OR
--3-4 guppies OR
--2 dwarf puffers OR
--shell dwelling cichlids (they need lots of shells too) OR
--a group of 8 nano fish like celestial pearl danio, ember tetra or chili rasbora

You can do a site search to check other threads that have asked about 10 gal stock to get more ideas and info.

All I meant by live rock was rock that isn't fake or store bought, not coral or anything. And what about barbs or a loan Oscar.

I'm in the same situation. I'm doing 5 zebra danios, 1 dwarf gourami, and 2-3 ghost shrimp in a planted 10 gal.

All I meant by live rock was rock that isn't fake or store bought, not coral or anything. And what about barbs or a loan Oscar.

Oscars are a gigantic no-way in a ten gallon, they get 12-14 inches long and massive, would not survive long of be very happy in a 10g I can't say for sure on the barbs but I know they can be a bit nippy and I believe are quick swimmers that enjoy more space then a 10g can give them. But maybe someone more familiar with barbs can chime in.

Do you know how how long it takes for a gourami to give birth after they get pregnant. And will thy eat their fry and stuff or what???

Breeding labyrinth fish

Do you know how how long it takes for a gourami to give birth after they get pregnant. And will thy eat their fry and stuff or what???

Are you asking because you are interested in breeding these air breathers? Betta and gourami are both labyrinth fish originally from Thailand and the surrounding areas. They breed by method of bubble nest. Once the male has produced a bubble nest and the female has deposited the eggs she must be removed to prevent being killed, leaving the male with the egg nest to fertilize. Strong suggestion for this type of breeding would be a 3 way mesh breeder and a tank over 30g, 40g is standard for a breeder tank.....

Are you asking because you are interested in breeding these air breathers? Betta and gourami are both labyrinth fish originally from Thailand and the surrounding areas. They breed by method of bubble nest. Once the male has produced a bubble nest and the female has deposited the eggs she must be removed to prevent being killed, leaving the male with the egg nest to fertilize. Strong suggestion for this type of breeding would be a 3 way mesh breeder and a tank over 30g, 40g is standard for a breeder tank.....

You obviously know what your talking about and thank you for clearing that up. :) I was really just curious and have no intent of breeding them. But thanks again ;)

You obviously know what your talking about and thank you for clearing that up. :) I was really just curious and have no intent of breeding them. But thanks again ;)

No problem- I've bred betta a couple times and own betta and gourami as my freshwater fish of choice, since I went saltwater with my puffer I haven't had the time or energy to take on my river monster faves :banghead: I must admit, though, I do love the look of smaller fully planted tanks at this point in time, which is highly restrictive when it comes to livestock choices.... Have you heard of amano style nano shrimp builds? They are cool. Another unique idea is a cobalt blue crayfish tank with low lighting and lava rock and driftwood caves along with 5 blind cave tetra and an albino african dwarf frog.....

No problem- I've bred betta a couple times and own betta and gourami as my freshwater fish of choice, since I went saltwater with my puffer I haven't had the time or energy to take on my river monster faves :banghead: I must admit, though, I do love the look of smaller fully planted tanks at this point in time, which is highly restrictive when it comes to livestock choices.... Have you heard of amano style nano shrimp builds? They are cool. Another unique idea is a cobalt blue crayfish tank with low lighting and lava rock and driftwood caves along with 5 blind cave tetra and an albino african dwarf frog.....

Now that's the thing, would I need some better crazy foods if I had the albino frog and the Cray fish or not???

Shrimp eat anything and everything you give them, and stuff that dies in your tank, crayfish and lobster are the same. African dwarf frogs will usually take frozen blood and tubiflex worms, mosquito larvae- topfin makes a salamander, newt and frog dietary staple. Tetras and raspbora, well they are normal tropicals and will take most anything.

Shrimp eat anything and everything you give them, and stuff that dies in your tank, crayfish and lobster are the same. African dwarf frogs will usually take frozen blood and tubiflex worms, mosquito larvae- topfin makes a salamander, newt and frog dietary staple. Tetras and raspbora, well they are normal tropicals and will take most anything.

But aren't shrimp/crayfish cold water while tetras and raspbora tropical fish who dwell in cold water???

Last edited by a moderator:
Crayfish are freshwater but not tropical. The other fish that you mentioned are freshwater tropical fish. They wouldn't work in the same tank I think. :/

Back
Top Bottom