Setting up my new 18.5 g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is my tank:
http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/int/index.html
It's the Rekord 70 tank
Well, anyway, it's been set up for 3 weeks now. It's nicely done it's cycle (which i didn't know of until i found this site :D ) and i've put in 3 Amano shrimp last week, they're great workers, cleaned most of my big piece of driftwood in 3 days.
Now, i'm leaving on a holiday to Spain for 10 days with my school (no, Spain isn't that exotic and expensive as you may think....i'm from Belgium, not from U.S. :lol: )
Should i feed my shrimp? The people at the store told me that i didnt need to feed them. I have some ugly hair algae developing, but i think i'll just let it develop until i get back....Then i'm going to start stocking my tank.
So....here's what i had in mind: 3 Keyhole Cichlids (these were the only ones that would be quite happy in my size aquarium my lfs told me. (Great lfs by the way, an old couple who really give people good advice and aren't out there for profit).
Then, i would like to get 1 algae eater. I was thinking a sailfin pleco, but that will grow too large, right? I saw this hong kong pleco thing or butterfly thing in my lfs that looked pretty nice, but do they eat algae?
Well, i'll maybe get a small school of neons or cardinals, or maybe some red-finned salmon ( i'm not sure u have them in U.S., theyre same size as neons).
I have the filter that came with the tank, it's standard but doing a good job.
I bought a tank light special for plant growth. Strange thing tough, i calculated that in Gallons my tank is 18.5 gallons, but my light is 15 watts. That less then 1W/G. And still my Ludwigias grew about 2 inches already and i have cuttings from them. My amazon sword grew 3 inches and has little swordies growing on a stalk. And then my Java fern got stuck between the wheels of my bike whilst in a plastic bag.....It's pretty much dying.

Bassically, my question is: Can i keep other Cichlids in this tank? I would like them to breed (don't worry, setting up a breeding tank as we speak, which i'll plat with my cuttings and have a sponge filter for it). Apart from cichlid i would like some small school of neons...and MAYBE a male Betta.

Tnx for your attention :lol:

Anyone? What other Cichlids could i keep in my tank that are interesting?
I would like to breed them, but could i keep any schooling fish? Or is it better to let them be by themselves in my tank?

tnx 8O

I was going to say that you shouldn't keep schoolers with breeding cichlids because they might get in at the eggs.

I couldn't say whether or not you could keep other cichlids with the keyholes because I've never kept keyholes, but none come to mind that would be suitable in such a small tank.

I would just stick with a species tank if you're wanting to breed them and save the fry.

I think Alli keeps keyholes with rams, but I am not sure what size that tank is.
Betta's are slow fish so an easy target for nipping. Maybe some otoclinis cats?
18 gallons becomes so very small if the fish are aggressive.
My custom 18 was not big enough to keep my colisa from shredding each other.... and just had 3, then 4. I still have the male and two female fry now grown.

First off, the shrimp will be perfectly fine in there while you are gone. They are marvelous at finding microscopic things to eat. Put your lights on a timer so they can help grow some goodies for the shrimp.

I agree that some keyholes would be nice in there, and possibly a ram or two but that is a big "if." For an algae eater you could try a bristlenose, as they do not get very large, but that is pushing it for that size tank, and your best bet would be some otocinclus, as mentioned, though for me they do not eat anything green, and eat only brown diatoms present in newer tanks.

First off, tnx everyone for the responses.
I think i'll be sticking to the species tank then. I was also thinking about getting rams, BUT they are quite hard to find here, and there's an abundance of keyholes at my lfs for about 3$ each. Not a bad price I think :)
I'll keep a betta some other time then....when i get a new tank.
And i do have a timer for my lights, so i think my shrimp will be fine......and guess what....one of them has eggs dangling on her belly (i think they're eggs?) So when i get back in two weeks, i'll be going back to my lfs with plenty of shrimp fry that they can grow and sell :roll:
I think it is best to take the fry to the lfs once i get back...no? or would my keyholes leave the nice crispy shrimp fry alone??
And also...the ones in the store looked quite young, should i get 4 or 5 and then wait till i have a pair and take the rest back? Are Keyhole Cichlids monogamous?
tnx :D

I am not certain, but I don't believe the ghost shrimp will hatch out in your tank, as I think there are particular conditions required for that particular kind of shrimp.

When it comes to cichlids, I like your first idea, about getting 5 wee ones and waiting to see how it shakes out. Keyholes are in general monogamous and should raise their fry peacefully.

AS far as the betta idea..on my end, I will say your betta should have no problem over the keyholes. They are different bodied, fast and fairly spunky.

But if fry become involved..I don't know what keyholes would do in tighter quarters...
a betta will prey upon unwary or unprotected fry in the 1-2 week stages (lil wigglys).

the right betta could fit in, , but being very slow and ornate....and cichlids being involved.... I can't speak for cichlids.....
keyhole keepers? what say you?
Mr. Betta can live in tank at all times..at most times (and go to mini tank during fry time) or not likely to escape damage and just forget it? :?

Well....i do really believe that my ghosts have eggs, and i hope they'll hatch properly and maybe some survive....Anyway, i don't really want to breed them, just would be fun :lol:

I was thinking...If my keyholes would breed...wouldnt they protect their fry? I don't know what would happen if a Betta would go against a keyhole....anyone know anything about this particular situation?

I do have lots of hiding space. I dont have Java moss, but this small plant that spreads quite fast....it sort of looks like 'Water cherry'??don't know if i translated correctly....anyways, it has lots of cover for fry...plus i have a nice place where my keyholes can make their nest and protect it easily.
So maybe i'll get a betta, but only after my keyholes are well accustomed to their new home.
:D

I don't doubt the ghosts have eggs, they definitely carry them! Mine have them from time to time as well, but that particular type is harder to hatch out than say, cherry shrimp. If you do get little ghost-lets, do let us know - that would be very cool.

I wonder if you have watersprite? It is excellent for a fry tank. You might have a shot at it with the betta. It really depends upon the individual, and the only way to know is to give it a try. I would personally add the keyholes and the betta at the same time, so territory is staked out all at the same time. Some people have had luck with bettas in with other types of fish, and others haven't, so it just depends. Keyholes are definitely peaceful when it comes to a cichlid, but that does not mean it is actually a "peaceful" fish, and bettas are not known for being peaceful, so they could both hold their own without really injuring each other, likely, 'cept for the betta's flowy fins.

Okey, so here's my decision, I hope it's okey...
So, i'm first going to get the young keyholes, 4 or 5 of them.
When i get a pair, i'll take the rest of them back to the lfs. Then i'll bring back home 5 or 7 Dwarf-Rasbora's. I read they grow to only about an inch. So, i think they wont be a threat to my keyhole fry, and they're still too big for the keyholes to eat....i think. That way i'll have another specie in my tank without any fighting. :wink:
That's why i won't be going for the betta. I don't want to take the chance that his fins will get bites out of them.....i don't want to do that to any fish when not necessairy. :p MAYBE if i'd be setting a big agressive Cichlid tank, then i wouldn't mind......but i don't want my fishies fighting. :roll:
So what do you guys think about putting dwarf rasboras in with the keyholes? That would be just fine, right?
I'm leaving tommorow morning, but don't be hesitant to reply, i'll find my post back when i get back from Spain :D

Well, of to bed now, to get ready to celebrate my 18th birthday in Spain :twisted: What a coincidence that i'll be 18 on a school trip.......but i don't mind, it'll be paaaaarty :lol:
I'll miss you guys :p

I think that the rasboras would be okay in there, but the key would be to add them when the keyholes are small, like at the same time you get your keyholes. I currently have very small fish in with my adult angel, but since they were in there when I got him, he ignores them. That's the theory, anyway!

Have a wonderful birthday and a great trip to Spain. Soak up some rays for us...

Well, i'm back from Spain.....it was great :)
I'm going to get my keyholes this afternoon, i phoned my lfs and they have about 10 youngsters there, who are only little over an inch. They said the keyholes should be ready to start breeding in half a year. So, i'm going to get me 5 keyhole youngsters, and maybe some tetra's or the dwarf rasboras.

What a surprise when i got back....you leave for 10 days...and all of the stalks (cuttings) i planted were huge! They were about 2 inch when i left, and now they are 10 inches... I have a real jungle now, and i do believe my dwarf cichlids will enjoy it.
I only saw 2 of my shrimp, but it's difficult to spot them in that forest... :wink:

I'll keep you posted on how my keyholes are doing if have any problems, and i'll try to get some pics up when they are settled a bit in their new home.

Welcome back, and thanks for the update! I am glad to hear about your pleasant surprise, and it sounds like you are ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom