Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I double checked the no2 test on tap water again and its perfect...

Its finally dropped to 0.25ppm tonight but the no3 has shot up to 40/60ppm which is really where it should be At the end of cycling... Its still processing out 4ppm of ammonia in 24 hours or less....

Its looking good for a visit to the aquarium shop on Sunday or Monday....

Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartybones View Post
I double checked the no2 test on tap water again and its perfect...

Its finally dropped to 0.25ppm tonight but the no3 has shot up to 40/60ppm which is really where it should be At the end of cycling... Its still processing out 4ppm of ammonia in 24 hours or less....

Its looking good for a visit to the aquarium shop on Sunday or Monday....
Hey! I am fairly new, but based on my reading and research, i think its ok that you dont have exactly 0 nitrites. if your nitrates are that high, clearly you have ample bacteria that is removing the nitrites if you can dose 4ppm of ammo and in 24hrs have 0 and basically 0 nitrites youre good.

In one guide it says, fish dont dump out 4ppm of ammo daily, and not at one time. its slow and a lot smaller. so I think once you add the fish, it would be fine.

I cant find the link but another guide said once its basically done, just dose to about 1ppm to feed the bacteria, but you dont need to dose it so high.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #13

There are so many difrent guides of fishless cycling and the fact that its not an exact science makes it open to all sorts of opinion.

The whole point of fishless cycling is so you don't expose your fish to the stresses of poisonous environments and to that end no2 should drop to 0ppm before adding any fish.

Yeah... They will proberbly be OK adding fish at 0.25 or even 0.5 ppm but that's still defeating the point of fishless cycling. You may as well go the fish in route and do frequent water changes to keep levels down....

My tank finally finished a few days back... And remained stable after a 60% water change to get the no3 down to acceptable levels. And now has a hand full of fish happely swimming around.....
Old 07-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
There are so many difrent guides of fishless cycling and the fact that its not an exact science makes it open to all sorts of opinion.

The whole point of fishless cycling is so you don't expose your fish to the stresses of poisonous environments and to that end no2 should drop to 0ppm before adding any fish.

Yeah... They will proberbly be OK adding fish at 0.25 or even 0.5 ppm but that's still defeating the point of fishless cycling. You may as well go the fish in route and do frequent water changes to keep levels down....

My tank finally finished a few days back... And remained stable after a 60% water change to get the no3 down to acceptable levels. And now has a hand full of fish happely swimming around.....
Nice! I am not sure I agree completely though. I do not think it defeats the point. You are right about the point of fishless cycling. However, the point is to keep them away from toxic levels of ammonia and nitrite. If you dumped the fish in the water the first day you filled it up, they would slowly be poisoned by the ammonia, and then the nitrites in the water. I was just saying that if you are converting 4ppm ammo down to 0 and nitrites almost all the way to 0, it is safe. The fish will never "dose" the ammo up to 4ppm, so I think is why you were still seeing some nitrites, but with fish I believe theyd almost always be 0.

the bacteria is doin its job...

currently im waiting for my nitrates to spike. theyre slowly increasing...
Old 07-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brybell View Post
currently im waiting for my nitrates to spike. theyre slowly increasing...
Ugh... Its horrid waiting to the tank to cycle. That's the only downside of fishless cycle.

There are so many conflicting and slightly difrent guides to fishless cycling that's its difficult to decide which is the definitive guide.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

Ugh... Its horrid waiting to the tank to cycle. That's the only downside of fishless cycle.

There are so many conflicting and slightly difrent guides to fishless cycling that's its difficult to decide which is the definitive guide.
yes i definitely agree.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

what kind of fish did you start with? and what size tank?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #18

Its a 100 letre tank. With plenty of plants.

I have 3 bronze Corrys. 8 neons and 2 chocolate gouramis...

All doing well....

The gouramis look like they are attached with a little string of elastic.. Never more than a few inches apart.

The corrys have not stopped ferreting about everywhere...

The neons are bright and sit close together all facing the same direction.... Until they get fed and all hell breaks loose...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com