setting up new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayma

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok i'm setting up a fluval spec 5 gallon and going to do a fishless cycle according to this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html i have a few questions. is all i need the api master test kit and some ammonia? also, the aquarium came with filter that has 2 pouches that go in 2 separate places, 1 biomax and 1 carbon. should i have both in while doing the cycle? thank you

You'll also need some fish food to provide phosphates for the bacteria. Other than that, the API kit and ammonia are all you need. And you want both cartridges in the filter as bacteria will grow on both of them! Good luck with the cycle!

Hi thank you for the response and sorry to bump my old thread again but it took forever to get the ammonia. I just want to be sure I did the calculations right... I have a 5 gallon tank so that's about 19 liters so 4ppm is 76 mL of ammonia I add initially?

E) Go ahead and add in your ammonia. Aim for around 4ppm. Start with a small amount, wait about 20 minutes for it to circulate and add more if needed. Repeat until you achieve the correct amount. If you add too much, you can do a partial water change to bring down the level. Keep track of how much you added to achieve the desired result.

Also what does it mean when it says add more if needed? and "Repeat until you achieve the correct amount"? How do I know what is the correct amount? Does it just mean add little by little until I added 4 ppm (for me 76 mL)?

Also, I have literally nothing to add into the tank except water. No gravel, plants or decorations. Is that ok for the cycle? Will bacteria still grow?

76 milliliters is waaaaaay too much. I suggest adding 1 mL, then testing your water 20 minutes later. I'm positive you won't need more than 3 mL of it. Once you're between 2 and 4 ppm you've got enough.

No, you want your gravel, etc in there. More surfaces for bacteria to grow on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, you want your gravel, etc in there. More surfaces for bacteria to grow on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Right now I have none and was planning to buy some and add it later if everything worked out. Doesn't the bacteria grow on the filter? Is it just a matter of the time it will take to cycle? Because I have no problem waiting if it takes longer but if it's better to add it now I guess I should go buy some

Most of it grows on the filter. Some people keep tanks entirely bare bottom; as long as you have bacteria in the filter you're fine.

Most of it grows on the filter. Some people keep tanks entirely bare bottom; as long as you have bacteria in the filter you're fine.

This point is debate able and really shouldn't be posted as fact. I would say a lot of the bacteria is in the filter, but opinions vary on the amount of bacteria present in the substrate, walls, or ornaments.

This point is debate able and really shouldn't be posted as fact. I would say a lot of the bacteria is in the filter, but opinions vary on the amount of bacteria present in the substrate, walls, or ornaments.

Well my point is that many, many people keep successful bare-bottom tanks, so gravel isn't needed to start the cycle.

Well my point is that many, many people keep successful bare-bottom tanks, so gravel isn't needed to start the cycle.
+1 as long as there is a filter the cycle will start. Sure bacteria grows on everything, but you only need the basics. No need to make it more complex/confusing
Also agree with Sinibotia, you'll only need about 1ml of ammonia :)

Oh, I should've been more specific. I wasn't disagreeing at all that it would cycle without gravel, your right about that absolutely.

I also should have been more specific! I only meant to imply that WITHOUT gravel, most of it just grows in the filter.

Back
Top Bottom