Setting up Pleco tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrutusPleco

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am buying a 75 gal. tank for my 2 common plecos (Bubbles and Norman). Right now they are in a 40 gal. with 2 dojo loaches and 2 upside down catfish. The plecos and the loaches are getting large.

I need help in setting up the new tank. I have read that with common plecos you should only have 1 inch of gravel or less so it would be easier to clean the tank since plecos are very messy fish.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!! :p Right now I have 2 Whisper 60 power filters and things are fine there.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Hmmm very interesting I have never heard of someone getting a new tank based on plecos. To me plecos are more of a fish that does the dirty work of the tank, and hides otherwise. Which in my opinion makes them a nessesity for every tank. However, I suggest maybe some cichlids to go along with your plecos. Relatively hardy fish... pretty easy to care for them.

As far as filter for a 75 g, many suggested a canister filter. Eheim makes some good ones I've heard.

Any chance you could get like a 125g tank? The Commons will eventually grow out of the 75g, so if you are upgrading, you might as well get something they can stay in for a while. I'd get a 6 foot tank atleast.

I'd go with some small gravel and lots of filtration. For tankmates, you have alot of choices. You could go with really peaceful schooling fish like Rainbows or some of the larger SA or CA cichlids. And there are many other options of course.

I recommend a 6 foot tank and 2 cannister filters.

Diablos said:
Hmmm very interesting I have never heard of someone getting a new tank based on plecos.
This is exactly the reason I got my 75 gallon tank. :) I got a pleco not knowing what type it truly was because I misinformed at the lfs (if you can imagine that :roll: ). It was sold to me as a Columbian Spotted Pleco and they told me it wouldn't get very large. After doing some research I found out it was a Sailfin Pleco who can get up to 18"! So, needless to say a 46 gallon would end up being much to small for him. When he reached about 7" he was moved into the much more spacious 75 gallon and he's been very happy there. :)

Hmmm everyone is always saying OMG those pleco's get huge! My family kept these and I've had generic sail fins for years, and there right these guys do get big. However, from what I've seen many times they will grow into and hover around a certain size that fits the tank. Not to mention if they do outgrow a 75g they do it slowly, from what I've seen its takes years to get to the 12" size.

You have to remeber than when upgrading your tank size, often you are looking at tons/more powerful equipment to run the tank properly. Many times its costs a ton! Specially if you were to almost double/triple your tank size now (ie going form 46 to 75 or 125).

Diablos said:
Hmmm everyone is always saying OMG those pleco's get huge! My family kept these and I've had generic sail fins for years, and there right these guys do get big. However, from what I've seen many times they will grow into and hover around a certain size that fits the tank. Not to mention if they do outgrow a 75g they do it slowly, from what I've seen its takes years to get to the 12" size.
And I hope that he'll be around for years so it's all fine by me if it takes that long to get that big. If he doesn't get that big, that's fine to. At least I'll know for sure that I'm providing him with a suitable home!

Diablos said:
You have to remeber than when upgrading your tank size, often you are looking at tons/more powerful equipment to run the tank properly. Many times its costs a ton! Specially if you were to almost double/triple your tank size now (ie going form 46 to 75 or 125).
As someone who has paid for the equipment to upgrade from a 46 to a 75 gallon, yes it was quite expensive, but I priced things out ahead of time to make sure it was affordable.

I take owning a pet, whether it's a dog, cat, or fish, very seriously. I could've brought him back to the pet store only to have the next person to who bought him cram him into a smaller tank without any concern over it's health. At least this way I know he's happy and well cared for. Upgrading also gave me many more options on which fish I wanted to keep and I'll have this tank for several years to enjoy. I consider it to be one of my best investments. :)

I take owning a pet, whether it's a dog, cat, or fish, very seriously. I could've brought him back to the pet store only to have the next person to who bought him cram him into a smaller tank without any concern over it's health. At least this way I know he's happy and well cared for. Upgrading also gave me many more options on which fish I wanted to keep and I'll have this tank for several years to enjoy. I consider it to be one of my best investments.

Good for you. I just upgraded from a 55 to a 75 strictly for my common pleco, and next year we get a 180. I took him on knowing he was already large and would get bigger; he has turned out to be a great fish and we enjoy him a lot.

I got lucky and sold my 55, hoods and Penguin 350 filter for about 7 bucks more than I paid for it new! I consider it karma for wanting the best for my charge. Fred does no work of any kind, dirty or otherwise, but I'm sure he'd rather be in a river in South America than in a fish tank, so I will do the best I can for him. If I couldn't afford to house him properly I'd find him a home that could.

EDIT: I was so busy on the soapbox I fergot to say that it is much easier to keep the tank clean with just an inch of gravel-I'd go that way for sure. If you find the filters can't keep up, then I'd get an XP3 and keep one of the HOBs as well, or add a powerhead to get the dead spots.

Good for you upgrading for your pleco's! I use PFS in my tanks with plecos and my substrates are1-3" deep depending on which tank. I have no problems due to my water change and gravel vacs.

Anyone have difficulty getting plecos to eat the algae wafers? I just put one in tonight for the first time, so I'll see if he eats it, but I was just wondering if placement makes a difference or whatnot.

I went from a 20Gal that was given to me w/ a 9" Sailfin (no they don't grow to the size of the tank) age 3 years, to a 75Gal within 1 Month of receiving the plec, he was 14.5" (age 6 Years) when moved to the 120Gal (more friendly size since it has more "turning room", now how do I keep him outta the plants.)..

It's not uncommon to upgrade the tank for pleco's. They have a personality that grows on you.

I would agree, a 75 is buying time. a 120 was the best solution for me since it wasn't any longer, but had an extra 3" in height and 6" in depth.. the length of 48" wasn't a problem.

Back
Top Bottom