Setup for Crab/Fish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben K

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, I wanna have a tank where it is part fish and part crab. The current setup I have is a sloping sand hill. But I don't like this setup cause I find I have little water for the fish to really swim about. So as I sat thinking, I came up with a design but I am iffy in building it. Why? Cause I'm affraid that if the crabs fall of the top sand area, that they will never get back out of the water.

Right now I only have a Halloween crab and two gold fiddler crabs. (Had three but one got stuck under the filter in tank. I thought it was just hiding, as several of them have on many occasions. Didn't notice it was dead untill I saw that the pleco was lying on it. Thus why I want more water space, to prevent little mishaps like this again) I am thinking of putting fancy guppies in the tank. Yes, I know crabs eat fish, not worried about replacing the fish here or there.

So this is the setup that I am thinking.
img_733138_0_c59017aa248c3b1c813a4a01cf698a24.jpg

Now, the red areas will be glass or something that I glue in the tank, to provide a way for crabs to get to the dry land. I am thinking of makign the top layer a little deep, something along the lines of 4" or so. This will give the halloween crab somethign to dig in. (Is this enough?)

I am also thinking of gluing on sand or some other rough surface so that crabs can get traction while climbing slope/steps.

Now what I'm worried about is this; will the crabs be smart enough to figure out how to get to the dry land if they find themselves at tank floor?

As for size of tank, not too sure yet. Right now I am using a 15G tank (2'×1'×1') but if I go with a set up like this, I am thinking of increasing to a larger tank, possibly a 30-50G. I like fish, but I also like to be unique.

I have considered a similar type of tank... except using one spotted puffer and a couple of small turtles... not sure how it would work though. I'm sure the crabs wouldn't have a problem getting up the surface, just as long as its not to slippery...

Nik

I know this post is old, but i'm curious how this turned out.. any pics of the finished tank? or did it not quite work out? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom