Sexing Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to know the best way to sex Bolivians and what gender are these 2.

Fish A
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422935196.995923.jpg

Fish B[
ATTACH]263136[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422935245.966345.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422935245.966345.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 62
If you need a better picture just let me know

Can no one help me?

A better picture might help. It's hard to tell from the odd color of the pictures.Does either fish have a pink belly? This would typically indicate a female.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

A better picture might help. It's hard to tell from the odd color of the pictures.Does either fish have a pink belly? This would typically indicate a female.

The color is from the tannins in the water and here's a better picture of fish A ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423028773.225842.jpg

Rams are notoriously difficult to sex, especially juveniles. It's often just a crapshoot.

I find observing the foremost dorsal ray is the easiest means. Males have a longer ray while females' rays are about uniform with the rest of the rays in the dorsal fin.

I've heard that males also have a sheen over their black spot while females do not but my personal experience with rams has been that the area if sheen is very often overlapping the edge of the spot on both genders.

In Bolivian rams the females have a lumpy chin while the males have a smooth chin. Think of it like a female having an Adams apple.

You are thinking of Blue rams (M. ramirezi) Bolivians don't get a pink belly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Rams are notoriously difficult to sex, especially juveniles. It's often just a crapshoot.

I find observing the foremost dorsal ray is the easiest means. Males have a longer ray while females' rays are about uniform with the rest of the rays in the dorsal fin.

I've heard that males also have a sheen over their black spot while females do not but my personal experience with rams has been that the area if sheen is very often overlapping the edge of the spot on both genders.

This is also blue rams, but I like the observation at the end of your comment, so many people are confused by using the spangling on the lateral spot technique.

I don't mean to hijack or sidetrack this post but I have 2 females now that prove this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1423485497696.jpg
    1423485497696.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom